Novel concept for the preparation of gas selective nanocomposite membranes
- 87 Downloads
In this work we report on a novel concept for the preparation of gas selective composite membranes by a simple and robust synthesis protocol involving a controlled in-situpolycondensation of functional alkoxysilanes within the pores of a mesoporous ceramic matrix. This innovative approach targets the manufacture of thin nanocomposite membranes, allowing good compromise between permeability, selectivity and thermomechanical strength. Compared to simple infiltration, the synthesis protocol allows a controlled formation of gas separation membranes from size-adjusted functional alkoxysilanes by a chemical reaction within the mesopores of a ceramic support, without any formation of a thick and continuous layer on the support top-surface. Membrane permeability can thus be effectively controlled by the thickness and pore size of the mesoporous layer, and by the oligomers chain length. The as-prepared composite membranes are expected to possess a good mechanical and thermomechanical resistance and exhibit a thermally activated transport of He and H2 up to 150 °C, resulting in enhanced separation factors for specific gas mixtures e.g. FH2/CO ∼ 10; FH2/CO2 ∼ 3; FH2/CH4 ∼ 62.
KeywordsOligomer European Physical Journal Special Topic Composite Membrane Ceramic Membrane Nanocomposite Membrane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Ayral, A. Julbe, G. Centi, N. Kanellopoulos, Ceramic membranes for gas treatment and Separation, in Nanoporous Materials for Energy and the Environment, edited by N. Kanellopouslos (Stanford Publishing Pte. Ltd, 2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Y.H. Ma, Hydrogen Separation Membranes, in: Advanced Membrane Technology and Applications, edited by N.N. Li (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2008)Google Scholar
- 3.A. Brunetti, G. Barbieri, E. Drioli, Gas Separation, Applications, in Encyclopedia of Membrane Science and Technology, edited by E.M.V. Hoek, V.V. Tarabara (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2013)Google Scholar
- 4.N. Benes, J.D.F. Ramsay, C. Guizard, Recent Advances in Gas Separation by Microporous Ceramic Membranes, edited by N.K. Kanellopoulos (Elsevier, 2000)Google Scholar
- 13.M. Drobek, A. Ayral, A. Julbe, C. Charmette, J. Motuzas, C. Loubat, E. Louradour, N. Del Bianco, Composite membranes, the preparation method and uses thereof, WO 2014016524 A1 2014013 (2014)Google Scholar
- 19.T.A. Peters, C.H.S. Poeth, N.E. Benes, H.C.W.M. Buijs, F.F. Vercauteren, J.T.F. Keurentjes 276, 42 (2006)Google Scholar
- 26.J.E. Blendell, H.K. Bowen, R.L. Coble, Amer. Ceramic Soc. Bull. 63, 797 (1984)Google Scholar