Acoustic-elastodynamic interaction in isotropic fractal media
This research explores the acoustic-elastodynamic interaction in isotropic fractal media. The analysis discusses the direct coupling of two constitutive models under dynamic loading: a continuous solid and an isotropic fractal medium. We consider two situations where in the first, the fractal medium is enclosed within a thin spherical shell (interior problem), while in the second, the fractal medium extends infinitely outside the shell (exterior problem). The two problems are simulated analytically, and the exact solution for the shell displacement is expressed in closed form in the Laplace domain. The formulation of the radiation condition for infinite fractal media is essential to derive the exterior problem’s solution. This study represents a meaningful idealization of real-application problems involving the interaction of multi-constitutive media, e.g. the human brain, whereby fractal features affect the response of this body under various excitations.
KeywordsEuropean Physical Journal Special Topic Human Head Fractal Derivative Acoustic Pressure Fractal Medium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H.M. Hastings, G. Sugihara, Fractals: A User’s Guide for the Natural Sciences (Oxford Science Publications, Oxford, 1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Y. Chen, M. Ostoja-Starzewski, Acta Mechanica 213, 155 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Y. Chen, B. Sutton, C. Conway, S.P. Broglio, M. Ostoja-Starzewski, special issue “Brain Neuro-Mechanics” of International Journal of Numerical Analysis and Modeling Series B 3, 20 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.E. Kalmanti, T.G. Maris, In-vivo 21, 641 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.H. Joumaa, M. Ostoja-Starzewski, P.N. Demmie, Mathematics and Mechanics of Solids, doi: 10.1177/1081286512454557 (2012)
- 12.H. Joumaa, M. Ostoja-Starzewski, Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (on line) (2013), 10.1016/j.matcom.2013.03.012
- 13.X.J. Yang, Advanced Local Fractional Calculus and Its Applications (World Science Publisher, New York, 2012)Google Scholar
- 14.X.J. Yang, Local Fractional Functional Analysis and Its Applications (Asian Academic Publisher Limited, Hong Kong, 2011)Google Scholar
- 15.X.J. Yang, D. Baleanu, Thermal Sciences, doi: 10.2298/TSCI1211242 16Y (2012)Google Scholar
- 17.I.S. Sokolnikoff, R.M. Redheffer, Mathematics of Physics and Modern Engineering (Mc-Graw Hill Book Company, New York, 1958)Google Scholar
- 18.C.M. Bender, S.A. Orszag, Advanced Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers (Springer, 1999)Google Scholar