On the different manifestations of particle accumulation structures (PAS) in thermocapillary flows
Particle de-mixing in flows in liquid-bridges driven by the Marangoni effect is investigated using primarily analytical models of the flow. The mechanism of particle–free-surface collisions is shown to explain the formation of experimentally observed particle depletion zones. This mechanism causes a mapping (or transfer) of particles moving on certain streamlines to other streamlines resulting in creation of a distinct depletion zone. Moreover, we demonstrate line-like particle accumulation along a chaotic streamline corresponding to SL2-PAS which is closed by a trajectory segment which is created by particle–free-surface interaction. The resulting limit cycle is stable due to the combined properties of the bulk transport and gathering at the free surface.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Schwabe, P. Hintz, S. Frank, Microgravity Sci. Technol. 9, 163 (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.H.C. Kuhlmann, E. Hofmann, Eur. Phys. J. Special Topics 192, 3 (2011), ISSN 1951-6355, http://www.springerlink.com/content/m34g674748103886/ URLADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.D. Melnikov, D. Pushkin, V. Shevtsova, Eur. Phys. J. Special Topics 192, 29 (2011), ISSN 1951-6355, http://www.springerlink.com/content/74425744r89h0j35/ URLADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.H.C. Kuhlmann, F.H. Muldoon, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 249401 (2012), http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevLett.108.249401 URLADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.D.O. Pushkin, D.E. Melnikov, V.M. Shevtsova, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 249402 (2012), http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevLett.108.249402 URLADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.F.H. Muldoon, H.C. Kuhlmann, Int. J. Multiphase Flow (submitted) (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.F.H. Muldoon, H.C. Kuhlmann, Physica D (submitted) (2012)Google Scholar
- 18.H.C. Kuhlmann, F.H. Muldoon, J. Jpn. Soc. Microgravity Appl. 29, 64 (2012)Google Scholar