Electrochemical characterization of innovative hybrid coatings for metallic artefacts
- 42 Downloads
In this paper, an electrochemical characterization of two different hybrid coatings is presented, with the specific aim of studying their corrosion protection behavior and better understanding their possible application in the cultural heritage field. The two formulations under study were epoxy resin containing silica nanoparticles and epoxy resin containing graphene oxide. Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy (EIS) and Scanning ElectroChemical Microscopy (SECM) were used to compare the electrochemical behavior of the two coatings and highlight their failure mechanism when immersed in an electrolytic solution containing chlorides. The investigation highlighted the good corrosion protective properties of both coatings; and moreover, thanks to the joined use of the two described analytical techniques, the different water uptake of the two solutions was studied, together with the different evolution of the coating surface morphology when immersed in the electrolytic solution.
- 1.P. Dillmann, G. Beranger, P. Piccardo, H. Matthiesen, Corrosion of Metallic Heritage Artefacts (Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, 2007) pp. 308--314Google Scholar
- 2.P. Dillmann, D. Watkinson, E. Angelini, A. Adriaens, Corrosion and Conservation of Cultural Heritage Metallic Artefacts (Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, 2013)Google Scholar
- 3.V. Argyropoulos, M. Giannoulaki, G.P. Michalakakos, A. Siaotou, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Conservation Strategies for Saving Indoor Metallic Collections, Cairo 25 February - 1 March 2007 (TEI of Athens, Athens, 2007) pp. 166--170Google Scholar
- 18.M. Periolatto, E. Di Francia, M. Sangermano, S. Grassini, P. Russo Spena, in Advanced Epoxy-Based Anticorrosion Coatings Containing Graphene Oxide (Springer International Publishing, 2017) pp. 135--143Google Scholar
- 22.E. Barsoukov, J. Ross Macdonald, Impedance Spectroscopy: Theory, Experiment, and Applications (Wiley, 2005)Google Scholar