Simulation of double stage hall thruster with double-peaked magnetic field
- 73 Downloads
This study adopts double permanent magnetic rings and four permanent magnetic rings to form two symmetrical magnetic peaks and two asymmetrical magnetic peaks in the channel of a Hall thruster, and uses a 2D-3V PIC-MCC model to analyze the influence of magnetic strength on the discharge characteristic and performance of Hall thrusters with an intermediate electrode and double-peaked magnetic field. As opposed to the two symmetrical magnetic peaks formed by double permanent magnetic rings, increasing the magnetic peak value deep within the channel can cause propellant ionization to occur; with the increase in the magnetic peak deep in the channel, the propellant utilization, thrust, and anode efficiency of the thruster are significantly improved. Double-peaked magnetic field can realize separate control of ionization and acceleration in a Hall thruster, and provide technical means for further improving thruster performance.
- 1.A.I. Bugrova, A.V. Desyatskov, V.K. Kharchevnikov, A.S. Lipatov, S. Zurbach, Two-Modes Operation of SPT of Second Generation (IEPC-2007-221) (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.M. Prioul, P. Dumazert, A.I. Bugrova, A.I. Morozov, V.K. Harchevnikov et al., Double Stage Hall Effect Thruster Development Activities at Snecma Moteurs (2004ESASP.555E..33P) (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.A.I. Bugrova, A.V. Desyatskov, V.K. Kharchevnikov, A.I. Morozov, M. Priol, Investigation of Physical Processes in SPT MAG (IEPC-2005-146) (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.M. Capacci, G. Matticari, G.E. Noci, P. Siciliano, M. Berti, L. Biagioni, U. Cesari, E. Gengembre, E. Chesta, Development of a Double Stage Hall Thruster for Advanced Telecom, Remote Sensing and Scientific Space Missions (AIAA 2004-3771) (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.P. Rossetti, U. Cesari, M. Saverdi, M. Capacci, P. Siciliano, G. Noci, E. Gengembre, Experimental Characterization of a Double-Stage Hall Effect Thruster (AIAA 2005-3879) (2005)Google Scholar