A neutron source for IGISOL-JYFLTRAP: Design and characterisation
- 322 Downloads
A white neutron source based on the Be(p, nx) reaction for fission studies at the IGISOL-JYFLTRAP facility has been designed and tested. 30MeV protons impinge on a 5mm thick water-cooled beryllium disc. The source was designed to produce at least 1012 fast neutrons/s on a secondary fission target, in order to reach competitive production rates of fission products far from the valley of stability. The Monte Carlo codes MCNPX and FLUKA were used in the design phase to simulate the neutron energy spectra. Two experiments to characterise the neutron field were performed: the first was carried out at The Svedberg Laboratory in Uppsala (SE), using an Extended-Range Bonner Sphere Spectrometer and a liquid scintillator which used the time-of-flight (TOF) method to determine the energy of the neutrons; the second employed Thin-Film Breakdown Counters for the measurement of the TOF, and activation foils, at the IGISOL facility in Jyväskylä (FI). Design considerations and the results of the two characterisation measurements are presented, providing benchmarks for the simulations.
- 2.P. Dimitriou, F.-J. Hambsch, S. Pomp, Fission Yields: current status & perspective. Summary report of an IAEA Technical Meeting, Technical Report INDC(NDS)-0713, IAEA, 2016Google Scholar
- 5.J. Äystö, T. Eronen, A. Jokinen, IGISOL: Three Decades of Research Using IGISOL Technique at the University of Jyväskylä (Springer Science & Business Media, 2014)Google Scholar
- 6.D. Gorelov, Nuclear Fission Studies With the IGISOL Method and JYFLTRAP, PhD Thesis, University of Jyväskylä, (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.M. Lantz, D. Gorelov, A. Jokinen, Design of a high intensity neutron source for neutron-induced fission yield studies, in Annex: Individual Reports to Compendium of Neutron Beam Facilities for High Precision Nuclear Data Measurements, (IAEA-TECDOC-1743, 2014) p. 234Google Scholar
- 11.A. Ferrari, P.R. Sala, A. Fasso, J. Ranft, FLUKA: A multi-particle transport code (Program version 2005), Technical report, 2005Google Scholar
- 12.L.S. Waters, G.W. McKinney, J.W. Durkee, The MCNPX Monte Carlo radiation transport code, in Hadronic Shower Simulation Workshop, Vol. 896, (AIP Publishing, 2007) pp. 81--90Google Scholar
- 14.A. Mattera, Characterization of a neutron source for fission yields studies, Licentiate Thesis, Uppsala, (2014), available from: http://urn.kb.se/resolve?urn=urn:nbn:se:uu:diva-238044
- 28.M.V. Kossov, Manual for the CHIPS event generator, KEK, internal report 17-2000 (2001)Google Scholar
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.