Prompt γ rays in 77Ge and 75Ge after thermal neutron capture
- 181 Downloads
The reactions 74Ge(n, γ) and 76Ge(n, γ) have been measured with cold neutrons generated by the research reactor FRM II near Munich, Germany. The γ rays have been detected by two Compton-suppressed HPGe systems in single and coincidence mode. The number of identified prompt transitions and levels in 77Ge was increased significantly and the decay scheme could be reconstructed for the first time. The decay scheme was also reconstructed for 68 prompt transitions in 75Ge. Previously reported inconsistencies of the γ-ray intensities in the 77Ge β decay could be resolved. In particular, the region around 2039 keV was investigated carefully, since the background to the neutrinoless double-beta decay of 76Ge must be understood well for the upcoming Gerda and Majorana experiments.
KeywordsNeutron Capture Isomeric State Decay Scheme Coincidence Measurement Prompt Gamma Activation Analysis
- 1.Gerda, The germanium detector array for the search of neutrinoless double beta decays of 76Ge at Gran Sasso, Proposal to the LNGS, http://www.mpi-hd.mpg.de/gerda (2004).
- 2.Majorana Collaboration, White paper on the Majorana zero neutrino double-beta decay experiment, nucl-ex/0311013 (2003).Google Scholar
- 4.L.V. Groshev, L.I. Govor, A.M. Demidov, Bull. Acad. Sci. USSR 36, 753 (1973).Google Scholar
- 7.A.E. Zobov, Program and Thesis, Proc. 41st Ann. Conf. Nucl. Spectrosc. Struct. At. Nuclei, Minsk 54 (1991).Google Scholar
- 16.J. Theuerkauf Program TV, Institute for Nuclear Physics, Cologne, Germany.Google Scholar
- 17.Database of prompt gamma rays from slow neutron capture for elemental analysis, Vienna: International Atomic Energy Agency (2006).Google Scholar
- 19.E.M. Lent, PhD thesis, University of California, Davis (1974).Google Scholar