Yu-Shiba-Rusinov bound states versus topological edge states in Pb/Si(111)
- 26 Downloads
There is presently a tremendous activity around the field of topological superconductivity and Majorana fermions. Among the many questions raised, it has become increasingly important to establish the topological or non-topological origin of features associated with Majorana fermions such as zero-bias peaks. Here, we compare in-gap features associated either with isolated magnetic impurities or with magnetic clusters strongly coupled to the atomically thin superconductor Pb/Si(111). We study this system by means of scanning tunneling microscopy and spectroscopy (STM/STS). We take advantage of the fact that the Pb/Si(111) monolayer can exist either in a crystal-ordered phase or in an incommensurate disordered phase to compare the observed spectroscopic features in both phases. This allows us to demonstrate that the strongly resolved in-gap states we found around the magnetic clusters in the disordered phase of Pb have a clear topological origin.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.S. Nadj-Perge, I.K. Drozdov, J. Li, H. Chen, S. Jeon, J. Seo, A.H. MacDonald, B.A. Bernevig, A. Yazdani, Science 346, 602 (2014) Google Scholar
- 6.L. Yu, Acta Phys. Sin. 21, 75 (1965) Google Scholar
- 9.G.C. Ménard, S. Guissart, C. Brun, R. Leriche, M. Trif, F. Debontridder, D. Demaille, D. Roditchev, P. Simon, T. Cren, Nat. Commun. 8, 2040 2017 Google Scholar
- 11.G.C. Ménard, S. Guissart, C. Brun, S. Pons, V.S. Stolyarov, F. Debontridder, M.V. Leclerc, E. Janod, L. Cario, D. Roditchev, P. Simon, T. Cren, Nat. Phys. 11, 1013 (2015) Google Scholar
- 19.G.C. Ménard, A. Mesaros, C. Brun, F. Debontridder, D. Roditchev, P. Simon, T. Cren, https://doi.org/1810.09541