Peculiar behavior of the critical loci of azeotropic binary mixtures: Case of perfluoromethylcyclohexane-isomeric hexane systems
- 35 Downloads
In a previous publication [A. Abbaci, H.R. van den Berg, E. Sakonidou, J.V. Sengers, Int. J. Thermophys. 13, 1043 (1992)], a study of ethane-carbon dioxide mixture critical locus as a function of the mole fraction was presented in order to show the evidence of an abnormal behavior in the critical density curve. An update on the evaluation of the critical parameters of this same mixture was published by [J.V. Sengers, G.X. Jin, Int. J. Thermophys. 28, 1181 (2007)]. In this work, we generalize the study to the critical loci of five selected azeotropic mixtures of perfluoromethylcyclohexane-isomeric hexane systems that have been correlated using simple polynomials. It is generally assumed that an azeotropic mixture is a synonym of a peculiar behavior of the critical density of this mixture as a function of the mole fraction. The purpose of this correlation is to show that this is not the case. Finally, we show the consequences of this abnormal behavior if it exists on the behavior of certain thermodynamic properties of such mixtures.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J.S. Rowlinson, F.L. Swinton, Liquids and Liquid Mixtures (Butterworths, London, 1982)Google Scholar
- 4.A. Abbaci, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Maryland at College Park, 1991Google Scholar
- 15.N.E. Khazanova, L.S. Lesnevskaya, Russ. J. Phys. Chem. 41, 1279 (1967)Google Scholar
- 16.N.E. Khazanova, E.E. Sominskaya, Russ. J. Phys. Chem. 42, 300 (1968)Google Scholar
- 17.N.E. Khazanova, L.S. Lesnevskaya, M.B. Rovoskii, Russ. J. Phys. Chem. 52, 521 (1978)Google Scholar
- 19.S.W. Chun, Ph.D. thesis, the Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 1964Google Scholar
- 20.F.D. Rossini, Selected Values of Physical and Thermodynamic Properties of Hydrocarbons and Related Compounds (Carnegie Press, Pittsburgh, 1953)Google Scholar