Simulation and analysis of a model dinoflagellate predator-prey system
- 116 Downloads
This paper analyzes the dynamics of a model dinoflagellate predator-prey system and uses simulations to validate theoretical and experimental studies. A simple model for predator-prey interactions is derived by drawing upon analogies from chemical kinetics. This model is then modified to account for inefficiencies in predation. Simulation results are shown to closely match the model predictions. Additional simulations are then run which are based on experimental observations of predatory dinoflagellate behavior, and this study specifically investigates how the predatory dinoflagellate Karlodinium veneficum uses toxins to immobilize its prey and increase its feeding rate. These simulations account for complex dynamics that were not included in the basic models, and the results from these computational simulations closely match the experimentally observed predatory behavior of K. veneficum and reinforce the notion that predatory dinoflagellates utilize toxins to increase their feeding rate.
KeywordsEuropean Physical Journal Special Topic Predation Rate Encounter Rate Swimming Behavior Harmful Alga
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.R.A. Alberty, Physical Chemistry (John Wiley & Sons, 1983)Google Scholar
- 13.L.E. Fleming, B. Kirkpatrick, L.C. Backer, C.J. Walsh, K. Nierenberg, J. Clark, A. Reich, J. Hollenbeck, J. Benson, Y.S. Cheng, J. Naar, R. Pierce, A.J. Bourdelais, W.M. Abraham, G. Kirkpatrick, J. Zaias, A. Wanner, E. Mendes, S. Shalat, P. Hoagland, W. Stephan, J. Bean, S. Watkins, T. Clarke, M. Byrne, D.G. Baden, Harmful Algae 10, 224 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.D.E. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning (Addison Wesley, Boston, 1989)Google Scholar
- 16.H.J. Jeong, Y. Du Yoo, J.S. Kim, T.H. Kim, J.H. Kim, N.S. Kang, W. Yih, J. Eukaryotic Microbiol. 51, 563 (2004)10.1111/j.1550-7408.2004.tb00292.xGoogle Scholar
- 21.A.R. Place, J. Adolf, T.R. Bachvaroff, H. Zhang, S. Lin, J. Phycol. 43 (2007)Google Scholar
- 23.S.S. Rao, Engineering Optimization: Theory and Practice (Wiley, Hoboken, 2009)Google Scholar
- 28.A. Skovgaard, S.A. Karpov, L. Guillou, The parasitic dinoflagellates Blastodinium spp. Inhabiting the gut of marine, Planktonic copepods: Morphology, ecology, and unrecognized species diversity (2012)Google Scholar
- 29.F.J.R. Taylor, M. Hoppenrath, J.F. Saldarriaga, Dinoflagellate diversity and distribution (2008)Google Scholar
- 30.P. Tester, R. Waggett, A. Place, J. Phycol. 43, 30 (2007)Google Scholar