Photoelectron multipliers based on avalanche pn — i — pn structures
- 43 Downloads
We present a new physical principle to design an optoelectronic device, which consists of a multilayered semiconductor structure, where the necessary conditions for generation of photoelectrons are met, such that it will enable sequential avalanche multiplication of electrons and holes inside two depletion slabs created around the p — n junctions of a reverse biased pn — i — pn structure. The mathematical model and computer simulations of this Semiconductor Photo-electron Multiplier (SPEM) for different semiconductor materials are presented. Its performance is evaluated and compared with that of conventional devices. The Geiger operational mode is briefly discussed which may be used in Silicon Photomultiplier (SiPM) as an elementary photo detector to enhance its performance.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hamamatzu Photonics, Photomultiplier Tubes. Electron Tube Center, 1994, 245p. and Hamamatzu, Photomultiplier Tubes and Assemblies, 2012, 76pGoogle Scholar
- 2.K. Yamomoto, K. Yamamura, K. Sato, et al., Development of Multi-Pixel Photon Counter (MPPC) IEEE, 2007 Nucl Sci Symp. Honolulu, HawaiiGoogle Scholar
- 5.R. Mirzoyan, E. Popova, SiPM for Atmospheric Cherenkov Telescopes, Proceeding SPIE 8621, Optical Components and Materials X, 862106 (Mar. 2013)Google Scholar
- 7.N. Otte, The Silicon Photomultiplier – A new device for High Energy Physics, Astroparticle Physics, Industrial and Medical Applications SNIC Symposium, Stanford, California – 3–6 April 2006, p. 1Google Scholar
- 8.M. Teshima, P. Lipari, A. Santangelo, EUSO (The Extreme Universe Space Observatory)- Scientific Objective, Proceedings of ICRC 2003, p. 1069Google Scholar
- 12.K.A. Lukin, H.A. Cerdeira, A.A. Colavita, P.P. Maksymov, Int. J. Mod. Simulation 23(2), 77 (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.K.A. Lukin, P.P. Maksymov, A method for evaluating of semiconductor structure with abrupt pn-junction. Radiophysics and Electronics. -Kharkov: IRE NASU 4(1), 87 (1999) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 14.S.M. Sze, Physics of Semiconductor Devices (New Jersey, 1981), p. 456Google Scholar