Wavelet-analysis of gastric microcirculation in rats with ulcer bleedings
- 67 Downloads
Nitric oxide (NO) plays an important role in regulation of central and peripheral circulation in normal state and during hemorrhagic stress. Because the impaired gastric mucosal blood flow is the major cause of gastroduodenal lesions including ulcer bleeding (UB), we study in this work the NO-ergic mechanism responsible for regulation of this blood flow. Our study is performed in rats with a model of stress-induced UB using laser Doppler flowmetry (LDF) that characterizes the rate of blood flow by measuring a Doppler shift of the laser beam scattered by the moving red blood cells. Numerical analysis of LDF-data is based on the discrete wavelet-transform (DWT) using Daubechies wavelets aiming to quantify influences of NO on the gastric microcirculation. We show that the stress-induced UB is associated with an increased level of NO in the gastric tissue and a stronger vascular sensitivity to pharmacological modulation of NO-production by L-NAME. We demonstrate that wavelet-based analyses of NO-dependent regulation of gastric microcirculation can provide an effective endoscopic diagnostics of a risk of UB.
KeywordsNitric Oxide European Physical Journal Special Topic Laser Doppler Flowmetry Daubechies Wavelet Gastric Mucosal Blood Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.M. Nelson, J. Quayle, Am. J. Physiol. 268, 799 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Y. Meyer (ed.), Wavelets and Applications (Springer-Verlag, 1992)Google Scholar
- 9.A. Aldroubi, M. Unser (eds.), Wavelets in medicine and biology (CRC Press, 1996)Google Scholar
- 10.P.S. Addison, The Illustrated Wavelet Transform Handbook: Applications in Science, Engineering, medicine and Finance (IOP Publishing, 2002)Google Scholar
- 14.D.J. Marsh, O.V. Sosnovtseva, A.N. Pavlov, K.-P . Yip, N.-H. Holstein-Rathlou, Am. J. Physiol. 288, R1160 (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.O.V. Sosnovtseva, A.N. Pavlov, E. Mosekilde, K.-P. Yip, N.-H. Holstein-Rathlou, D.J. Marsh, Am. J. Physiol. 293, F1545 (2007)Google Scholar
- 19.I. Daubechies, Ten Lectures on Wavelets (SIAM, 1992)Google Scholar
- 20.W.H. Press, B.P. Flannery, S.A. Teukolsky, W.T. Vetterling, Numerical recipes in C: The Art of Scientific Computing 2nd edn. (Cambridge, 1992)Google Scholar
- 22.H.M. Stauss, Am. J. Physiol. 292, R902 (2007)Google Scholar