Dynamics of ions in the selectivity filter of the KcsA channel
- 132 Downloads
The statistical and dynamical properties of ions in the selectivity filter of the KcsA ion channel are considered on the basis of molecular dynamics (MD) simulations of the KcsA protein embedded in a lipid membrane surrounded by an ionic solution. A new approach to the derivation of a Brownian dynamics (BD) model of ion permeation through the filter is discussed, based on unbiased MD simulations. It is shown that depending on additional assumptions, ion’s dynamics can be described either by under-damped Langevin equation with constant damping and white noise or by Langevin equation with a fractional memory kernel. A comparison of the potential of the mean force derived from unbiased MD simulations with the potential produced by the umbrella sampling method demonstrates significant differences in these potentials. The origin of these differences is an open question that requires further clarifications.
KeywordsMolecular Dynamic Simulation European Physical Journal Special Topic Langevin Equation Brownian Dynamic Fractional Noise
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Hille, Ion Channels of Excitable Membranes (Sinauer Associates, 2001)Google Scholar
- 3.B. Eisenberg, Adv. Chem. Phys. 148, 77 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.D. McQuarrie, Statistical Mechanics (University Science Books, Sausalito Calif., 2000)Google Scholar
- 10.H. Risken, The Fokker-Plank Equation, 3rd edn. (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1996)Google Scholar
- 25.J.S. Bendat, A.G. Piersol, Random Data: Analysis and Measurement Procedures (New Jersey, Wiley, 2011)Google Scholar
- 26.M.P. Allen, D.J. Tildesley, Computer Simulation of Liquids (Clarendon Press New York, 1989)Google Scholar