A finite difference method with non-uniform timesteps for fractional diffusion and diffusion-wave equations
An implicit finite difference method with non-uniform timesteps for solving fractional diffusion and diffusion-wave equations in the Caputo form is presented. The non-uniformity of the timesteps allows one to adapt their size to the behaviour of the solution, which leads to large reductions in the computational time required to obtain the numerical solution without loss of accuracy. The stability of the method has been proved recently for the case of diffusion equations; for diffusion-wave equations its stability, although not proven, has been checked through extensive numerical calculations.
KeywordsEuropean Physical Journal Special Topic Fractional Derivative Fractional Calculus Adaptive Method Absorb Boundary Condition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K.B. Oldham, J. Spanier, The Fractional Calculus (Academic Press, New York, 1974)Google Scholar
- 2.R. Hilfer (ed.), Applications of Fractional Calculus in Physics (World Scientific, Singapore, 2000)Google Scholar
- 3.I. Podlubny, Fractional Differential Equations: An Introduction to Fractional Derivatives, Fractional Differential Equations, to Methods of Their Solution and Some of Their Applications (Academic Press, San Diego, 1999)Google Scholar
- 4.A.A. Kilbas, H.M. Srivastava, J.J. Trujillo, Theory and Applications of Fractional Differential Equations (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2006)Google Scholar
- 7.R. Klages, G. Radons, I.M. Sokolov (eds.), Anomalous Transport: Foundations and Applications (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2008)Google Scholar
- 11.S.B. Yuste, E. Abad, K. Lindenberg, Reactions in Subdiffusive Media and Associated Fractional Equations, in Fractional Dynamics. Recent Advances, edited by J. Klafter, S.C. Lim, R. Metzler (World Scientific, Singapore, 2011)Google Scholar
- 28.T. Skovranek, V.V. Verbickij, Y. Tarte, I. Podlubny, Discretization of fractional-order operators and fractional differential equations on a non-equidistant mesh, Article no. FDA10-062, edited by I. Podlubny, B.M. Vinagre Jara, YQ. Chen, V. Feliu Batlle, I. Tejado Balsera, Proceedings of FDA10 (The 4th IFAC Workshop Fractional Differentiation and its Applications, Badajoz, 2010), p. 18Google Scholar
- 36.R.J. LeVeque, Finite Difference Methods for Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations: Steady-State and Time-Dependent Problems (SIAM, Philadelfia, 2007)Google Scholar