On the different manifestations of particle accumulation structures (PAS) in thermocapillary flows
Particle de-mixing in flows in liquid-bridges driven by the Marangoni effect is investigated using primarily analytical models of the flow. The mechanism of particle–free-surface collisions is shown to explain the formation of experimentally observed particle depletion zones. This mechanism causes a mapping (or transfer) of particles moving on certain streamlines to other streamlines resulting in creation of a distinct depletion zone. Moreover, we demonstrate line-like particle accumulation along a chaotic streamline corresponding to SL2-PAS which is closed by a trajectory segment which is created by particle–free-surface interaction. The resulting limit cycle is stable due to the combined properties of the bulk transport and gathering at the free surface.
KeywordsEuropean Physical Journal Special Topic Liquid Bridge Marangoni Number Depletion Zone Stream Tube
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Schwabe, P. Hintz, S. Frank, Microgravity Sci. Technol. 9, 163 (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.H.C. Kuhlmann, E. Hofmann, Eur. Phys. J. Special Topics 192, 3 (2011), ISSN 1951-6355, http://www.springerlink.com/content/m34g674748103886/ URLADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.D. Melnikov, D. Pushkin, V. Shevtsova, Eur. Phys. J. Special Topics 192, 29 (2011), ISSN 1951-6355, http://www.springerlink.com/content/74425744r89h0j35/ URLADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.H.C. Kuhlmann, F.H. Muldoon, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 249401 (2012), http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevLett.108.249401 URLADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.D.O. Pushkin, D.E. Melnikov, V.M. Shevtsova, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 249402 (2012), http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevLett.108.249402 URLADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.F.H. Muldoon, H.C. Kuhlmann, Int. J. Multiphase Flow (submitted) (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.F.H. Muldoon, H.C. Kuhlmann, Physica D (submitted) (2012)Google Scholar
- 18.H.C. Kuhlmann, F.H. Muldoon, J. Jpn. Soc. Microgravity Appl. 29, 64 (2012)Google Scholar