Numerical simulations of gas-liquid two-phase flows in a micro porous structure
- 181 Downloads
The lattice Boltzmann method for two-phase fluid flows is applied to the simulations of gas-liquid two-phase flows in a micro porous structure for various capillary numbers at low Reynolds numbers. The behaviors of the gas-liquid interface and the velocities of the two-phase fluid in the structure are simulated, and the permeability of gas and liquid through the structure are estimated from the calculated results. By changing the void fraction, the contact angle of the interface on walls, and the surface tension, the effect of these properties on the behaviors and the permeability of the two-phase flows in the micro porous structure is investigated. It is found that the permeability of liquid flows depends on the contact angle and it increases for hydrophobic walls. It is also seen that liquid flows are choked in pores for large void fractions and low capillary numbers.
KeywordsReynolds Number Contact Angle European Physical Journal Special Topic Void Fraction Capillary Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- U. Pasaogullari, C.Y. Wang, J. Electrochem. Soc. 151, A399 (2004)Google Scholar
- S. Lister, D. Sinton, N. Djilali, J. Power Sources 154, 95 (2006)Google Scholar
- T. Suekane, T. Ishi, S. Tsushima, S. Hirai, J. Thermal Sci. Tech. 1, 1 (2006)Google Scholar
- T. Inamuro, T. Ogata, S. Tajima, N. Konishi, J. Comput. Phys. 198, 628 (2004)Google Scholar
- A.J. Briant, P. Papatzacos, J.M. Yeomans, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A 360, 485 (2002)Google Scholar
- K. Kobayashi, T. Inamuro, F. Ogino, J. Chem. Eng. Jpn. 39, 257 (2006)Google Scholar
- T. Inamuro, M. Yoshino, F. Ogino, J. Numer. Meth. Fluids 29, 737 (1999)Google Scholar
- G.K. Batchelor, An Introduction to Fluid Dynamics (Cambridge University Press, 1967), p. 224Google Scholar