Experimental study of the instability of a film flowing down a vertical fiber
- 106 Downloads
The wavy dynamics of a viscous film flowing axisymmetrically on a vertical fiber is characterized experimentally. The study of the initial response of the flow to natural noise shows a well-defined transition between a convective and an absolute instability . In the convective case, disturbances of controlled frequencies have been applied at inlet. The flow responds to inlet excitation at frequencies lower than a well-defined cut-off frequency. A good agreement has been found with the linear stability analysis and with the solution to a two-equation model  in the nonlinear regime.
KeywordsEuropean Physical Journal Special Topic Linear Stability Analysis Force Frequency Periodic Perturbation Secondary Instability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Duprat, C. Ruyer-Quil, S. Kalliadasis, F. Giorgiutti-Dauphiné, Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 244502 (2007) Google Scholar
- C. Ruyer-Quil, P. Treveleyan, F. Giorgiutti-Daupiné, C. Duprat, S. Kalliadasis (2007), Film flows down a fibre: Modelling and influence of streamwise viscous diffusion (in preparation) Google Scholar
- I.L. Kliakhandler, S.H. Davis, S.G. Bankoff, J. Fluid Mech. 429, 381 (2001) Google Scholar
- R.V. Craster, O.K. Matar, J. Fluid Mech. 553, 85 (2006) Google Scholar
- G.M. Sisoev, R.V. Craster, O.K. Matar, S.V. Gerasimov, Chem. Eng. Sci. 61, 7279 (2006) Google Scholar
- H.C. Chang, E.A. Demekhin, Complex Wave Dynamics on Thin Films, edited by D. Möbius,R. Miller (Elsevier, 2002) Google Scholar
- P. Huerre, M. Rossi, in Hydrodynamic and nonlinear instabilities, edited by C. Godréche,P. Manneville (Cambridge University Press, 1998), pp. 81–294 Google Scholar
- C. Duprat, C. Ruyer-Quil, F. Giorgiutti-Dauphiné (2008), Spatial evolution of a film flowing down a fiber (in preparation) Google Scholar