Evolution of phase transformations after multiple steps of marforming in Ti-rich Ni-Ti SMA
- 87 Downloads
The phase transformations associated with Shape Memory Effect (SME) can be one step, B19' (martensite) ↔ B2 (austenite), or two/multiple steps which include the intermediate R phase, depending on the thermal and thermomechanical history of the alloy. The transformation temperatures are generally observed above room temperature in Ti-rich Ni-Ti alloys, while those observed in Ni-rich alloys occur below room temperature. The goal of the present work is to investigate the phase transformations evolution in Ti-Rich Ni-Ti SMA (Ni-51 at % Ti) when subjected to two distinct thermal treatments (500°C for 30 minutes in air and 800°C for 300 minutes in vacuum) and subsequently multiple steps of marforming thermomechanical treatments intercalated with thermal treatments (500°C for 30 minutes in air) and subsequent four distinct final thermal treatments (400, 450, 500 or 600°C for 30 minutes in air). Further, the stability of phase transformations in the initial ten thermal cycles of these thermomechanically treated samples is also studied. Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) and X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) were used to identify the transformation temperatures and the phases that are present after the thermomechanical treatments.
KeywordsMartensite Shape Memory Alloy Transformation Temperature European Physical Journal Special Topic Vickers Hardness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. Khelfaoui, G. Thollet, G. Guenin, Mat. Sci. Eng. A-Struct. 338, 305 (2002) Google Scholar
- P. Filip, K. Mazanec, Scr. Metall. Mater. 32, 1375 (1995) Google Scholar
- H.F. Lopez, A. Salinas Rodriguez et al., Scr. Mater. 34, 659 (1996) Google Scholar
- J.X. Zhang, M. Sato et al., Acta Mater. 51, 3121 (2003) Google Scholar
- I. Karaman et al., Metall. Mater. Trans. A-Phys. Met. Mat. Sci. 34A, 2527 (2003) Google Scholar
- H. F. Lopez, et al., Metall. Mater. Trans. A-Phys. Met. Mat. Sci. 32A, 717 (2001) Google Scholar
- A.S. Paula et al., Nucl. Instrum. Meth. Phys. B 246, 206 (2006) Google Scholar
- V. Pelosin, A. Riviere, Metall. Mater. Trans. A-Phys. Met. Mat. Sci. 29A, 1175 (1998) Google Scholar
- E. Hornbogen, Mat. Sci. Forum 455-456, 335 (2004) Google Scholar
- F.M. Braz Fernandes et al., in Proceedings of the International Conference on Shape Memory and Superelastic Technologies, SMST-2004, edited by M. Mertmann (ASM International, 2006), p. 51 Google Scholar