The effect of 4-hydroxycoumarin and umbelliferone on DPPC bilayers. Ultrasound study
- 81 Downloads
The organisation of two coumarins, 4-hydroxycoumarin and 7-hydroxy- coumarin (umbelliferone) in dipalmitolyphosphatidylcholine (DPPC) was examined in the study. Ultrasound absorption technique was applied to study the effect of the presence in DPPC membranes of one of the coumarines on the parameters of phase transition. 4-hydroxycoumarin was found to change both phase transition temperature of this transition, and cooperativity more than umbelliferone. Different influence of these examined compounds is associated with their different location in the DPPC membrane, what results from different distribution of amphyphilness in molecules of both compounds.
KeywordsCoumarin European Physical Journal Special Topic DPPC Acyl Chain Phase Transition Temperature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.S. Lopez-Gonzalez, H. Prado-Garcia, D. Aquilar-Cazares, J.A. Molina-Guarneros, J. Morales-Fuentes, J. Manioki, Lung Cancer 43, 275 (2004) Google Scholar
- B. Ramesh, K.V. Pugalendi, Yale J. Biol. Med. 78, 189 (2005) Google Scholar
- D.J. Fort, E.L. Stover, T. Propst, M.A. Hull, J.A. Bantle, Drug. Chem. Toxicol. 21, 15 (1998) Google Scholar
- J.C. Jung, J.H. Lee, S. Oh, J.G. Lee, O.S. Park, Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 14, 5527 (2004) Google Scholar
- R.P.D.II Morse, L.D. Ma, R.L. Magin, F. Dunn, Chem. Phys. Lipids 103, 1 (1999) Google Scholar
- F. Eggers, Th. Funck, Naturwissenschaften 63, 280 (1976) Google Scholar
- K.Wojtowicz, Inst. Sci. Techn. 27, 290 (1999) Google Scholar
- S. Biswas, S.C. Bhattacharya, B.B. Bhowmik, S.P. Moulik, J. Coll. Interface Sci. 244, 145 (2001) Google Scholar
- M. Gawlikowski, T. Pustelny, R. Kustosz, J. Phys. IV (France) 137, 73 (2006) Google Scholar
- K. Wojtowicz, to be published in Annales UMCS section DDD Google Scholar