Bound states of topological defects in parametrically excited capillary waves
- 26 Downloads
Bound states of topological defects arising in a tetragonal lattice formed by two orthogonal standing parametrically excited capillary surface waves are investigated. Such bound states are shown to consist either of two topological charges of one sign (type 1) or of topological charges having opposite signs (type 2). It was found that bound states of type 1 move primarily along wave fronts, and type 2 bound states move at an angle of 45○ to the wave fronts forming a tetragonal lattice. A system of four coupled Ginzburg–Landau equations is proposed to model bound states. Numerical modeling of this system gave solutions corresponding to type 1 bound states observed in experiment.
KeywordsWave Front Standing Wave European Physical Journal Special Topic Topological Charge Topological Defect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Pocheau, V. Croquette, J. Phys. (Paris) 45, 35 (1984) Google Scholar
- C. Perez-Garcia, P. Cerisier R. Occelli, Propagation in Systems Far from Equilibrium, edited by J.E. Wesfreid, H.R. Brand, P. Manneville, N. Boccacia (Springer Verlag, Berlin 1988), p. 232 Google Scholar
- S. Resenat, V. Steinberg, I. Rehberg, Phys. Rev. A 42, 5998 (1990) Google Scholar
- A. Joets, R. Ribbota, J. Stat. Phys. 64, 981 (1991) Google Scholar
- A.B. Ezersky, D.A. Ermoshin, S.V. Kiyashko, Phys. Rev. E 51, 4411 (1995) Google Scholar
- G. Tesauro, M.C. Cross, Phys. Rev. A 34, 1363 (1986) Google Scholar
- M.I. Rabinovich, L.S. Tsimring, Phys. Rev. E 49, 35 (1994) Google Scholar
- V.O. Afenchenko, A.B. Ezersky, S.V. Kiyashko A.V. Nazarovsky, Int. J. Bifur. Chaos 11, 1261 (2001) Google Scholar
- A.B. Ezersky, S.V. Kiyashko, A.V. Nazarovsky, Physica D 152–153, 310 (2001) Google Scholar
- G.D. Granzow, H. Riecke, Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 174502 (2001) Google Scholar
- V.O. Afenchenko, A.B. Ezersky, S.V. Kiyashko, Phys. Wave Phenom. 12, 200 (2004) Google Scholar