Generalized diffusion and pretransitional fluctuations statistics
- 46 Downloads
(a) For diffusion type processes, non-Gaussian distributions are obtained, in a generic manner, from a generalization of classical linear response theory; (b) Statistical properties of hydrodynamic fields reveal pretransitional fluctuations in fingering processes, and these precursors are found to exhibit power law distributions; (c) These power laws are shown to follow from q-Gaussian structures which are solutions to the generalized diffusion equation. The present analysis (i) offers a physical picture of the precursors dynamics, (ii) suggests a physical interpretation of nonextensivity from the structure of the precursors, and (iii) provides an illustration of the emergence of statistics from dynamics.
KeywordsVorticity European Physical Journal Special Topic Porous Media Equation Classical Statistical Mechanic Lattice Boltzmann Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Muskat, The Flow of Homogeneous Fluids through Porous Media (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1937) Google Scholar
- C. Tsallis, D.J. Bukman, Phys. Rev. E 54, R2197 (1996) Google Scholar
- N.G. Van Kampen, Stochastic Processes in Physics and Chemistry (North Holland, Amsterdam, 1981) Google Scholar
- S. Succi, The Lattice Boltzmann Equation for Fluid Dynamics (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 2001) Google Scholar
- G.M. Zaslavsky, R.Z. Sagdeev, D.A. Usikov, A.A. Chernikov, Weak Chaos and Quasi-Regular Patterns (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1991); Sect. 7.4 Google Scholar
- See e.g. EuroPhysics News 36/6, 183-231 (2005) Google Scholar