The unfair consequences of equal opportunities: Comparing exchange models of wealth distribution
- 74 Downloads
Simple agent based exchange models are a commonplace in the study of wealth distribution of artificial societies. Generally, each agent is characterized by its wealth and by a risk-aversion factor, and random exchanges between agents allow for a redistribution of the wealth. However, the detailed influence of the amount of capital exchanged has not been fully analyzed yet. Here we present a comparison of two exchange rules and also a systematic study of the time evolution of the wealth distribution, its functional dependence, the Gini coefficient and time correlation functions. In many cases a stable state is attained, but, interesting, some particular cases are found in which a very slow dynamics develops. Finally, we observe that the time evolution and the final wealth distribution are strongly dependent on the exchange rules in a nontrivial way.
KeywordsIncome European Physical Journal Special Topic Gini Index Wealth Distribution Time Correlation Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- V. Pareto, Cours d'Économie Politique, Vol. 2, F. Pichou, Lausanne (1897) Google Scholar
- M. Nirei, W. Souma, Two factor model of income distribution dynamics, Santa Fe Institute (USA) report sfi0410029 (2004) Google Scholar
- S. Sinha, Evidence for power-law tail of the wealth distribution in India, to appear in Physica A and condmat/0502166v1 (2005) Google Scholar
- C.F. Mourkazel, S. Gonçalves, J.R. Iglesias, M. Achach, R. Huerta, Wealth Condensation in a Multiplicative Random Asset Exchange Model to appear in these Proceedings (2006) Google Scholar
- B.K.Chakrabarti, A. Chatterjee, Ideal Gas-Like Distributions in Economics: Effects of Saving Propensity, in “Applications of Econophysics”, edited by H. Takayasu, Conference proceedings of Second Nikkei Symposium on Econophysics, Tokyo, Japan, 2002, by Springer-Verlag, Tokyo, 280–285, Preprint available: cond-mat/0302147 (2004) Google Scholar
- N. Scafetta, B.J. West, S. Picozzi, cond-mat/0209373v1(2002) and cond-mat/0306579v2 (2003) Google Scholar
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gini_coefficient Google Scholar