Deduction of the temperature-dependent structure of the four-layer intermediate smectic phase using resonant X-ray scattering
A binary mixture of an antiferroelectric liquid-crystal material containing a selenium atom and a highly chiral dopant is investigated using resonant X-ray scattering. This mixture exhibits a remarkably wide four-layer intermediate smectic phase, the structure of which is investigated over a temperature range of 16K. Analysis of the resonant X-ray scattering data allows accurate measurement of both the helicoidal pitch and the distortion angle as a function of temperature. The former decreases rapidly as the SmC * phase is approached, whilst the latter remains constant over the temperature range studied at 8°±3° . We also observe that the senses of the helicoidal pitch and the unit cell of the repeating four-layer structure are opposite in this mixture and that there is no pitch inversion over the temperature range studied.
PACS.61.30.Eb Experimental determinations of smectic, nematic, cholesteric and other structures 78.70.Ck X-ray scattering 83.80.Xz Liquid crystals: nematic, cholesteric, smectic, discotic, etc.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R.B. Meyer, L. Liébert, L. Strzelecki, P. Keller, J. Phys. (Paris) 36, L-69 (1975).Google Scholar
- 2.A. Chandini, E. Gorecka, Y. Ouchi, H. Takezoe, A. Fukuda, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 28, L1265 (1989).Google Scholar
- 3.M. Fukui, H. Orihara, Y. Yamada, N. Yamamoto, Y. Ishibashi, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 28, L849 (1989). Google Scholar
- 4.A.D. Chandani, T. Ouchi, H. Takezoe, A. Fukuda, K. Terashima, K. Furukawa, A. Kishi, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 28, L1261 (1989).Google Scholar
- 11.H.F. Gleeson, L.S. Hirst, Chem. Phys. Chem. 7, 321 (2006).Google Scholar
- 18.M.B. Hamaneh, P.L. Taylor, Phys. Rev. E 93, 167801 (2004).Google Scholar