Salty solutions near a charged modulated interface
Charged monolayers at a liquid-vapor interface may be found in a crystalline state, resulting in a surface density of charge that displays periodic modulations. In this paper we discuss how these modulations affect different thermodynamical and mechanical properties (compared with the equivalent uniform charge density) of a system consisting of the charged monolayer and a bulk solution including a finite concentration of counter-ions and co-ions. It is shown that very accurate results for low and moderate salt concentrations are possible within an expansion in the Fourier modes of the modulations, the Weak Amplitude Perturbation (WAP), if the finite size of the ions are included as a Stern layer. We conclude by discussing the implications and the relevance of these results for both theoretical studies and experiments.
PACS.82.60.Lf Thermodynamics of solutions 61.20.Qg Structure of associated liquids: electrolytes, molten salts, etc. 68.03.Cd Surface tension and related phenomena
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Holm, P. Kekicheff, R. Podgornik, Electrostatic Effects in Soft Matter and Biophysics (Kluwer Academic Press, Dordrecht, 2001). Google Scholar
- 2.W. Gelbart, R. Bruinsma, Ph. Pincus, V. Parsegian, Phys. Today 53, 38 (2000).Google Scholar
- 12.S. Safran, Statistical Thermodynamics of Surfaces, Interfaces, and Membranes, in Front. Phys. (Perseus Publishing, 1994).Google Scholar
- 17.J.P. Hansen, I.R. McDonald, Theory of Simple Liquids, fifth edition (Academic Press, London, 2003).Google Scholar
- 18.O. Stern, Z. Elektrochem. 30, 508 (1924).Google Scholar
- 19.R.J. Hunter, Zeta Potential in Colloidal Science (Colloid Science, Academic Press, London, 1981).Google Scholar
- 21.J. Israelachvili, Intermolecular and Surface Forces (Academic Press, London, 2000).Google Scholar
- 22.L. Landau, E. Lifshitz, Electrodynamics of Continuum Media, Course of Theoretical Physics, Vol. 8 (Butterworth-Heinemann, 2002).Google Scholar
- 23.J.S. Rowlinson, B. Widom, Molecular Theory of Capillarity (Dover Publications, Mineola, 2002).Google Scholar
- 24.D. Fennell Evans, H. Wennerstrom, The Colloidal Domain, Where Physics, Chemistry, and Biology Meet (Wiley-VCH, 1999).Google Scholar
- 27.A.F. Mingotaud, C. Mingotaud, L.K. Patterson, Handbook of Monolayers, Vols. 1,2 (Academic Press, 1993).Google Scholar