Energetic and structural properties of fullerenes under irradiation processes
- 35 Downloads
Based on the atomic displacement energy (Td) calculated using the Density functional theory with tight binding approximation (DFTB), the cross sections of electron-induced atomic displacement were obtained as a function of the order of the fullerene. Three types of defects commonly induced by radiation (mono-vacancy, di-vacancy and Stone-Wales) were also analyzed, determining their formation energies and the structural changes they produce in the molecule. The results are consistent with the transformation of polyhedral structures to spherical nano-onions observed in experiments under electron irradiation.
- 1.M.S. Dresselhaus, G. Dresselhaus, P.C. Eklund, Science of Fullerenes and Carbon Nanotubes (Academic Press, 1995) Google Scholar
- 2.L. Echegoyen, A. Ortiz, M.N. Chaur, A.J. Palkar, Carbon Nano Onions, in Chemistry of Nanocarbons (John Wiley and Sons Ltd., 2010), Google Scholar
- 16.A. Krasheninnikov, Irradiation-induced phenomena in carbon nanotubes, in Chemistry of Carbon Nanotubes (American Scientific Publishers, 2007) Google Scholar
- 18.J. Friedel, Extended defects in materials, in Physics of Modern Materials (International Atomic Energy Agency, Viena, 1980), Vol. I Google Scholar
- 20.F. Seitz, J. Koehler, Solid State Phys. 2, 307 (1956) Google Scholar