Wave-packet analysis of strong-field ionization of sodium in the quasistatic regime*
Strong field ionization of the sodium atom in the tunnelling and over-the-barrier regimes is studied by examining the valence electron wave-packet dynamics in the static electric field. The lowest state energy and the ionization rate determined by this method for different strengths of the applied field agree well with the results obtained using other methods. The initial period of the nonstationary decay after switching the field on is analyzed and discussed. It is demonstrated that, if the Keldysh parameter is significantly lower than one (quasistatic regime), the probability of ionization by a laser pulse can be obtained from the static rates.
- 4.M.V. Ammosov, N.B. Delone, V.P. Krainov, Sov. Phys. J. Exp. Theor. Phys. 64, 1191 (1986)Google Scholar
- 5.L.D. Landau, E.M. Lifshitz, Quantum Mechanics (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1991), p. 296Google Scholar
- 7.W. Xiong, S.L. Chin, Sov. Phys. J. Exp. Theor. Phys. 72, 268 (1991)Google Scholar
- 16.A.J. Thakkar, C. Lupinetti, Atomic Polarizabilities and Hyperpolarizabilities: A Critical Compilation, in Atoms, Molecules, and Clusters in Electric Fields: Theoretical Approaches to the Calculation of Electric Polarizability, edited by George Maroulis (Imperial College Press, 2006), p. 505Google Scholar
- 18.F. Grossmann, Theoretical Femtosecond Physics (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2008)Google Scholar