On the Cd III spectrum in a pulsed helium discharge
- 80 Downloads
On the basis of the spectral line intensity relaxation during the plasma decay, fifty six spectral lines between 219 nm and 330 nm in the cadmium (Cd) spectrum were identified as Cd III (doubly ionized) or Cd IV (triply ionized) lines. The measured Stark widths of twelve, the most intense spectral lines around 315±15 nm with well defined profiles, are presented. Investigated spectral lines originate from the high lying energy levels, not classified up to now. A linear low-pressure pulsed arc was used as an optically thin plasma source. A pulsed discharge was produced in a pyrex discharge tube. Helium was chosen as the carrier gas. The cadmium atoms were sputtered from the thin cadmium cylindrical plates located in the homogeneous axial part of the discharge tube. The helium plasma was operated at electron temperatures up to 19 000 K and 1.1 × 1023 m-3 electron density. The stepwise ionization processes via the high lying singly ionized (Cd II) energy levels, populated well due to the Penning and charge exchange effects, provide high density of the Cd III (and Cd IV) ions in our helium plasma. The temporal evolutions of the spectral line intensities were monitored using a spectrograph and an ICCD camera as a highly sensitive detection system.
KeywordsCadmium Spectral Line Discharge Tube Rogowski Coil Helium Plasma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 15.NIST, Atomic Spectra Database Lines (wavelength order), http://www.physics.nist.gov (2011)
- 16.A.N. Zaidelj, V.K. Prokofjev, S.M. Raijskij, V.A. Slavnjij, E.Y. Shrejder, Spectral Line Tables (in Russian) (Nauka, Moscow, 1977) Google Scholar
- 23.H.R. Griem, Plasma Spectroscopy (McGraw Hill, New York, 1964) Google Scholar
- 24.R.I. Kurucz, Atomic Spectral Line Database from CD-Rom 23, http://www.pmp.uni-hannover.de/cgi-bin/ssi/test/kurucz/sekur.html (2011)
- 26.V.S. Aleijnikov, V.V. Ushakov, Opt. Spektrosk. (in Russian) 33, 214 (1972) Google Scholar
- 27.V.A. Kartazaev, N.A. Tolmachev, Opt. Spektrosk. (in Russian) 45, 648 (1978) Google Scholar
- 33.H.R. Griem, Spectral Line Broadening by Plasmas (Acad. Press, New York, 1974) Google Scholar