On the validity of the electron transfer model in photon emission from ion bombarded vanadium surfaces
- 77 Downloads
The spectral structure of the radiation (250–500 nm) emitted during sputtering of clean and oxygen-covered polycrystalline vanadium and V2O5 by 5 keV Kr+ ions is presented. The optical spectra obtained by bombarding the vanadium target consist of series of sharp lines, which are attributed to neutral and ionic excited V. The same lines are observed in the spectra of V2O5 and vanadium when oxygen is present. The absolute intensities of VI and VII lines are measured under similar conditions for all spectra. The difference in photon yield from the clean and oxide vanadium targets is discussed in terms of the electron-transfer processes between the excited sputtered and electronic levels of the two types of surfaces. We have examined the existing models of ionisation, excitation, neutralisation and de-excitation of atomic particles in the vicinity of solid surfaces. Continuum radiation was also observed and interpreted as a result of the emission of excited molecules of the metal-oxide.
KeywordsVanadium Spectral Line Vanadium Oxide Excited Molecule Continuum Radiation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C.W. White, D.L. Simms, N.H. Tolk, Characterization of solid surfaces, edited by P.F. Kare, G.B. Larrabee (Plenum Press, New York, 1974), Chap. 23Google Scholar
- 8.M. Ait El Fqih, A. Faké, K. Berrada, A. Kaddouri, Afrique Sci. 4, 339 (2008)Google Scholar
- 29.K. Berrada, J. Fournier, P.-G. Fournier, A. Kaddouri, Phys. Chem. News 17, 49 (2004)Google Scholar
- 32.M. Ait El Fqih, P.-G. Fournier, Acta Physica Polonica A 115, 901 (2009)Google Scholar
- 35.D.R. Linde, CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 83rd edn. (CRC press, Washington DC, 2002), p. E279Google Scholar
- 36.M.L. Yu, in Sputtering by Particle Bombardment, edited by R. Behrisch, K. Wittmack (Springer, Berlin, 1991), Vol. 3Google Scholar
- 37.R.C. Weast et al., CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (CRC, Boca Raton, 1986)Google Scholar