Switching spatial dissipative solitons in a VCSEL with frequency selective feedback
- 127 Downloads
The process of switching on bistable spatial dissipative solitons in a VCSEL with frequency selective feedback is analyzed experimentally and theoretically. Two regimes of successful writing of spatial solitons with an external pulse are identified: for short durations of the writing beam pulse, the input amplitude has to increase, while for longer durations, the input amplitude can remain constant. Switch on spectrograms of the frequency spectrum show a transient dynamics over many modes of the external cavity with a drift of the central frequency from higher to lower frequency. Such a multi-mode regime is almost independent of the frequency of the writing beam. It is interpreted to be due to the existence of multiple unstable solitons with different frequencies which channel the transient dynamics. Good agreement between experimental results and numerical simulations in both the time and frequency domains is found.
KeywordsSoliton Pulse Length External Cavity Threshold Power Dissipative Soliton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Dissipative solitons, Lecture Notes in Physics, edited by N. Akhmediev and A. Ankiewicz (Springer, New York, 2005), Vol. 661 Google Scholar
- 9.Dissipative Solitons: From Optics to Biology and Medicine, Lecture Notes in Physics, edited by N. Akhmediev and A. Ankiewicz (Springer, New York, 2008), Vol. 751 Google Scholar
- 13.T. Ackemann, N. Radwell, R. Jäger, IEEE Winter Topicals, Paper TuB2. 2. (2009) Google Scholar
- 14.IST-STREP 004868 Fundamentals, Functionalities and Applications of Cavity Solitons (FunFACS) (2005–2008) www.funfacs.org Google Scholar
- 24.Unlocking Dynamical Diversity: Optical Feedback Effects on Semiconductor Lasers, edited by D.M. Kane, K.A. Shore (Wiley, New York, 2005) Google Scholar