Self-organization of a Bose-Einstein condensate in an optical cavity
- 675 Downloads
The spatial self-organization of a Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC) in a high-finesse linear optical cavity is discussed. The condensate atoms are laser-driven from the side and scatter photons into the cavity. Above a critical pump intensity the homogeneous condensate evolves into a stable pattern bound by the cavity field. The transition point is determined analytically from a mean-field theory. We calculate the lowest lying Bogoliubov excitations of the coupled BEC-cavity system and the quantum depletion due to the atom-field coupling.
PACS.03.75.Kk Dynamic properties of condensates; collective and hydrodynamic excitations, superfluid flow 37.10.Vz Mechanical effects of light on atoms, molecules, and ions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Larson, S. Fernandez-Vidal, G. Morigi, M. Lewenstein, arXiv:0710.3047 (2007) Google Scholar
- J. Larson, B. Damski, G. Morigi, M. Lewenstein, Phys. Rev. Lett. 100 (2008) Google Scholar
- I.B. Mekhov, C. Maschler, H. Ritsch, Phys. Rev. Lett. 98 (2007) Google Scholar
- I.B. Mekhov, C. Maschler, H. Ritsch, Phys. Rev. A 76 (2007) Google Scholar
- I. Bloch, J. Dalibard, W. Zwerger, arXiv:0704.3011 (2007) Google Scholar
- Y. Castin, Bose-Einstein condensates in atomic gases: simple theoretical results, edited by R. Kaiser, C. Westbrook, F. David, Coherent atomic matter waves, Lecture Notes of Les Houches Summer School (EDP Sciences and Springer-Verlag, 2001), pp. 1–136 Google Scholar
- F. Dimer, B. Estienne, A.S. Parkins, H.J. Carmichael, Phys. Rev. A 75 (2007) Google Scholar
- J.M. Zhang, W.M. Liu, D.L. Zhou, arXiv: 0710.3092 (2007) Google Scholar