Kinetics of muon catalyzed fusion processes in solid H/D mixture
- 77 Downloads
This paper presents the final results of an experimental study of the kinetics of the muon catalysed fusion (MCF) in solid hydrogen-deuterium mixtures (H/D) at a temperature of 3 K. The experiment E742 was carried out on a TRIUMF meson facility in Canada. Four exposures were performed at different deuterium concentrations in the H/D mixture: cd = 0.0005, 0.02, 0.15 and 0.75. A simultaneous analysis of the measured time distributions of the 5.5 MeV γ-quanta and the 5.3 MeV conversion muons obtained from nuclear fusion in the pdμ molecule allowed to extract the values of MCF chain parameters in the H/D mixture: the fusion partial rates for different nuclear spin states of the pdμ molecule, and the pdμ molecule formation rate. The experimental data fitting procedure was conducted in two ways: using solely the analytical formulae describing the kinetics of the MCF processes in the H/D mixture, and the detailed Monte Carlo simulation of the entire experiment. The results obtained by these two methods are consistent with each other and confirm the existence of the Wolfenstein-Gerstein effect.
PACS.25.10.+s Nuclear reactions involving few-nucleon systems 25.60.Pj Fusion reactions 36.10.-k Exotic atoms and molecules (containing mesons, muons, and other unusual particles)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- L.W. Alvarez et al., Phys. Lett. 105, 1127 (1957) Google Scholar
- L.N. Bogdanova, V.E. Markushin, Muon Catal. Fusion 5, 189 (1990/91) Google Scholar
- L.N. Bogdanova, Muon Catal. Fusion 3, 377 (1988) Google Scholar
- C. Petitjean et al., Muon Catal. Fusion 5, 199 (1990/91) Google Scholar
- V.M. Bystritsky et al., Sov. Phys. JETP 43, 606 (1976) Google Scholar
- W.H. Bertl et al., Atomkernenergie 43, 184 (1983) Google Scholar
- A. Guła, Acta Phys. Polonica B 16, 589 (1985) Google Scholar
- J. Woźniak et al., Hyp. Int. 101/102, 573 (1996) Google Scholar
- L. I. Ponomarev, M.P. Faifman, Sov. Phys. JETP 44, 886 (1976) Google Scholar
- S.I. Vinitskii, L.I. Ponomarev, Sov. J. Part. Nucl. 13, 557 (1982) Google Scholar