Ab initio theory of helix↔coil phase transition
In this paper, we suggest a theoretical method based on the statistical mechanics for treating the α-helix↔random coil transition in alanine polypeptides. We consider this process as a first-order phase transition and develop a theory which is free of model parameters and is based solely on fundamental physical principles. It describes essential thermodynamical properties of the system such as heat capacity, the phase transition temperature and others from the analysis of the polypeptide potential energy surface calculated as a function of two dihedral angles, responsible for the polypeptide twisting. The suggested theory is general and with some modification can be applied for the description of phase transitions in other complex molecular systems (e.g. proteins, DNA, nanotubes, atomic clusters, fullerenes).
PACS.82.60.Fa Heat capacities and heats of phase transitions 87.15.He Dynamics and conformational changes 64.70.Nd Structural transitions in nanoscale materials 64.60.-i General studies of phase transitions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Finkelstein, O. Ptitsyn, Protein Physics. A Course of Lectures (Elsevier Books, Oxford, 2002) Google Scholar
- A. Yakubovich, I. Solov'yov, A. Solov'yov, W. Greiner, Europhys. News 38, 10 (2007) Google Scholar
- W. Scott, W. van Gunsteren, The GROMOS software package for biomolecular simulations, in Methods and Techniques in Computational Chemistry: METECC-95, edited by E. Clementi, G. Corongiu (STEF, Cagliari, Italy, 1995), pp. 397–434 Google Scholar
- A. Irbäck, B. Samuelsson, F. Sjunnesson, S. Wallin, Biophys. J. 85, 1466 (2003) Google Scholar
- H.A. Scheraga, J.A. Villa, D.R. Ripoll, Biophys. Chem. 101-102, 255 (2002) Google Scholar
- A. Yakubovich, I. Solov'yov, A.V. Solov'yov, W. Greiner, Eur. Phys. J. D, DOI: 10.1140/epjd/e2007-00327-x Google Scholar
- J.B. Foresman, A. leen Frisch, Exploring Chemistry with Electronic Structure Methods (Pittsburgh, PA: Gaussian Inc, 1996) Google Scholar
- A. Rubin, Biophysics: Theoretical Biophysics (University Press, Nauka, Moscow, 2004) Google Scholar
- L. Landau, E. Lifshitz, Statistical Physics (Pergamon Press, London-Paris, 1959) Google Scholar
- M. Cubrovic, O. Obolensky, A. Solov'yov, in preparation (2007) Google Scholar