Radiation induced force between two planar waveguides
- 296 Downloads
We study the electromagnetic force exerted on a pair of parallel slab waveguides by the light propagating through them. We have calculated the dependence of the force on the slab separation by means of the Maxwell–Stress tensor formalism and we have discussed its main features for the different propagation modes: spatially symmetric (antisymmetric) modes give rise to an attractive (repulsive) interaction. We have derived the asymptotic behaviors of the force at small and large separation and we have quantitatively estimated the mechanical deflection induced on a realistic air-bridge structure.
PACS.03.50.De Classical electromagnetism, Maxwell equations 41.20.-q Applied classical electromagnetism 42.79.Gn Optical waveguides and couplers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- I. Wilson-Rae, P. Zoller, A. Imamoglu, Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 075507 (2004); F. Marquardt, J.P. Chen, A.A. Clerk, S.M. Girvin, e-print arXiv:cond-mat/0701416; I. Wilson-Rae, N. Nooshi, W. Zwerger, T.J. Kippenberg, e-print arXiv:cond-mat/0702113; C. Genes, D. Vitali, P. Tombesi, S. Gigan, M. Aspelmeyer, e-print arXiv:0705.1728; J.D. Thompson, B.M. Zwickl, A.M. Jayich, F. Marquardt, S.M. Girvin, J.G.E. Harris, e-print arXiv:0707.1724 CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- P.C. Chaumet, M. Nieto-Vesperinas, Phys. Rev. B 62, 11185 (2000); P.C. Chaumet, M. Nieto-Vesperinas, Phys. Rev. B 61, 14119 (2000); P.C. Chaumet, M. Nieto-Vesperinas, Phys. Rev. B 64, 035422 (2001); M. Bayindir, C. Kural, E. Ozbay, J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt. 3, S184 (2001); M.L. Povinelli, M. Ibanescu, S.G. Johnson, J.D. Joannopoulos, Appl. Phys. Lett. 85, 1466 (2004); R. Gómez-Medina, J.J. Sáenz, Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 243602 (2004); M.L. Povinelli, S.G. Johnson, M. Loncar, M. Ibanescu, E.J. Smythe, F. Capasso, J.D. Joannopoulos, Opt. Exp. 13, 8286 (2005); A. Mizrahi, L. Schächter, Phys. Rev. E 74, 036504 (2006) CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- D. Marcuse, Light Transmission Optics (Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1972); D. Marcuse, Theory of Dielectric Optical Wave Guides (Academic Press, New York, 1974) Google Scholar
- K. Okamoto, Fundamentals of optical waveguides (Academic Press, 2000) Google Scholar
- C. Cohen-Tannoudji, B. Diu, F. Laloë, Quantum mechanics (Wiley-Interscience, 1977) Google Scholar
- J.D. Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics (Wiley, 1998) Google Scholar
- L.D. Landau, E.M. Lifshitz, The classical theory of fields (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1975) Google Scholar
- L.D. Landau, E.M. Lifshitz, L.P. Pitaevskii, Statistical mechanics, Vol. II: Theory of the condensed state (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1980), Chap. VIII Google Scholar
- Note that this non-monotonic behavior has a completely different origin from the one reported in povinelli. There, a pair of linear waveguides were considered instead of slab ones, and the change of sign of the pressure for the antisymmetric TE mode was due to edge effects because of the confinement in the y-direction Google Scholar
- L.D. Landau, E.M. Lifshitz, Theory of Elasticity (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1970) Google Scholar