Structure and optical properties of Na clusters deposited on MgO(001)
- 59 Downloads
We present a hierarchical model for describing Na clusters which interact with a MgO(001) surface. The clusters are treated by time-dependent density-functional theory in full detail and the substrate by classical dynamics of Mg and O ions including dynamical polarizability. The model is calibrated to accurate all-electron density-functional model calculations of a Na adsorbate on an extended model of the MgO(001) surface. We show first applications to structure and optical response of NaNMgO adsorption complexes for N = 3...8. The overall shape of the metal clusters is hardly changed by the interaction of the cluster with the surface while the detailed structure is slightly distorted to accommodate surface corrugation. The peak positions of the Mie plasmon resonances are not shifted, but the spectral fragmentation is strongly influenced by the surface.
PACS.36.40.Gk Plasma and collective effects in clusters 36.40.Mr Spectroscopy and geometrical structure of clusters 36.40.Sx Diffusion and dynamics of clusters 36.40.Vz Optical properties of clusters
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Nanocatalysis, edited by U. Heiz, U. Landman (Springer, Berlin, 2006) Google Scholar
- Chemisorption and Reactivity of Supported Clusters and Thin Films, edited by R.M. Lambert, G. Pacchioni, NATO ASI Series E (Kluwer, Dordrecht, 1997), Vol. 331 Google Scholar
- N. Rösch, V.A. Nasluzov, K.M. Neyman, G. Pacchioni, G.N. Vayssilov, in Computational Material Science, edited by J. Leszczynski (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2004), Theoretical and Computational Chemistry Series, Vol. 15, p. 367 Google Scholar
- Appl. Phys. A 82 (2006), topical issue on “Clusters in Contact with Surfaces”, edited by K.M. Meiwes-Broer Google Scholar
- Metal Clusters, edited by W. Ekardt (Wiley, New York, 1999) Google Scholar
- A. Sanchez, S. Abbet, U. Heiz, W.D. Schneider, H. Häkkinen, R.N. Barnett, U. Landman, J. Phys. Chem. 103, 9573 (1999) Google Scholar
- P.G. Reinhard, E. Suraud, Introduction to Cluster Dynamics (Wiley, New York, 2003) Google Scholar
- M. Winkler, Diploma thesis, Technische Universität München (2006) Google Scholar
- T. Belling, T. Grauschopf, S. Krüger, M. Mayer, F. Nörtemann, M. Staufer, C. Zenger, N. Rösch, in High Performance Scientific and Engineering Computing, edited by H.J. Bungartz, F. Durst, C. Zenger (Springer, Heidelberg, 1999), Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering, Vol. 8, p. 441 Google Scholar
- T. Belling, T. Grauschopf, S. Krüger, F. Nörtemann, M. Staufer, M. Mayer, V.A. Nasluzov, U. Birkenheuer, A. Hu, A.V. Matveev et al., ParaGauss, Version 3.1, Technische Universität München (2004) Google Scholar