Deposition of Ni 13 and Cu 13 clusters on Ni(111) and Cu(111) surfaces
- 127 Downloads
The soft deposition of Ni13 and Cu13 clusters on Ni(111) and Cu(111) surfaces is studied by means of constant-energy molecular-dynamics simulations. The atomic interactions are described by the Embedded Atom Method. It is shown that the shape of the nickel clusters deposited on Cu(111) surfaces remains rather intact, while the copper clusters impacting on Ni(111) surfaces collapse forming double and triple layered products. Furthermore, it is found that for an impact energy of 0.5 eV/atom the structures of all investigated clusters show the lowest similarity to the original structures, except for the case of nickel clusters deposited on a Cu(111) surface. Finally, it is demonstrated that when cluster and substrate are of different materials, it is possible to control whether the deposition results in largely intact clusters on the substrate or in a spreading of the clusters. This separation into hard and soft clusters can be related to the relative cohesive energy of the crystalline materials.
PACS.61.46.+w Nanoscale materials 36.40.-c Atomic and molecular clusters 68.65.-k Low-dimensional, mesoscopic, and nanoscale systems: structure and nonelectronic properties 31.15.Ct Semi-empirical and empirical calculations (differential overlap, Huckel, PPP methods, etc.)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- U. Heiz, W.-D. Schneider, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 33, R85 (2000) Google Scholar
- P. Jensen et al., in Nanoclusters and Nanocrystals, edited by H.S. Nalwa (American Science Publishers, 2003), Chapt. 4 Google Scholar
- T. Takagi, Ionized-Cluster Beam Deposition and Epitaxy (Materials Science and Process Technology Series, Noyes Publications, 1989) Google Scholar
- D. Alamanova, V.G. Grigoryan, M. Springborg, unpublished Google Scholar
- A.F. Voter, in Intermetallic Compounds, edited by J.H. Westbrook, R.L. Fleisch (Wiley, New York, 1994), Vol. 1 Google Scholar
- A.F. Voter, S.P. Chen, Proc. Mat. Res. Soc. 82, 175 (1987) Google Scholar
- D. Alamanova, V.G. Grigoryan, M. Springborg, Z. Phys. Chem. 220, 811 (2006) Google Scholar
- C. Kittel, Introduction to Solid State Physics, 8th edn. (Wiley, New York, 2005) Google Scholar