Engineering multiphoton states for linear optics computation
- 57 Downloads
Transformations achievable by linear optical components allow to generate the whole unitary group only when restricted to the one-photon subspace of a multimode Fock space. In this paper, we address the more general problem of encoding quantum information by multiphoton states, and elaborating it via ancillary extensions, linear optical passive devices and photodetection. Our scheme stems in a natural way from the mathematical structures underlying the physics of linear optical passive devices. In particular, we analyze an economical procedure for mapping a fiducial 2-photon 2-mode state into an arbitrary 2-photon 2-mode state using ancillary resources and linear optical passive N-ports assisted by post-selection. We found that adding a single ancilla mode is enough to generate any desired target state. The effect of imperfect photodetection in post-selection is considered and a simple trade-off between success probability and fidelity is derived.
PACS.03.67.-a Quantum information 03.67.Lx Quantum computation 42.50.Dv Nonclassical states of the electromagnetic field, including entangled photon states; quantum state engineering and measurements
QICS01.30.+r Quantum states and dynamics as a resource for information processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Nielsen, I. Chuang, Quantum Information and Quantum Computation (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2000) Google Scholar
- P. Kok, W.J. Munro, K. Nemoto, T.C. Ralph, J.P. Dowling, G.J. Milburn, arXiv:quant-ph/0512071 (2005) Google Scholar
- C.R. Myers, R. Laflamme, arXiv:quant-ph/0512104 (2005) Google Scholar
- N.J. Cerf, C. Adami, P.G. Kwiat, Phys. Rev. A 57, R1477 (1998) Google Scholar
- S. Scheel, N. Lütkenhaus, New J. Phys. 6 51 (2004); see also J. Eisert, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 04052 (2005) Google Scholar
- P. Aniello, R. Coen Cagli, J. Opt. B: Quantum Semiclass. Opt. 7, S711 (2005) Google Scholar
- J. Schwinger, in Quantum theory of angular momentum, edited by L.C. Biedenharn, H. van Dam (Academic Press, New York, 1965) Google Scholar
- S.A. Gaal, Linear Analysis and Representation Theory (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1973) Google Scholar
- A. Ferraro, S. Olivares, M.G.A. Paris, “Gaussian States in Quantum Information”, Napoli Series on Physics and Astrophysics (Bibliopolis, Napoli, 2005) Google Scholar
- G. Zambra, M.G.A. Paris, Reconstruction of photon statistics using low performance photon counters, arXiv:quant-ph/0607052 Google Scholar