Diffusion radius of muonic hydrogen atoms in H-D gas
- 74 Downloads
The diffusion radius of the 1S muonic hydrogen atoms in gaseous H2 targets with various deuterium admixtures has been determined for temperatures T=30 and 300 K. The Monte Carlo calculations have been performed using the partial differential cross sections for pμ and dμ atom scattering from the molecules H2, HD and D2. These cross sections include hyperfine transitions in the muonic atoms, the muon exchange between the nuclei p and d, and rotational-vibrational transitions in the target molecules. The Monte Carlo results have been used for preparing the time-projection chamber for the high-precision measurement of the nuclear μ- capture in the ground-state pμ atom, which is now underway at the Paul Scherrer Institute.
PACS.34.50.-s Scattering of atoms and molecules 36.10.Dr Positronium, muonium, muonic atoms and molecules
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Kammel et al., Nucl. Phys. A 663-664, 911c (2000) Google Scholar
- P. Kammel et al., Proceedings of the International Conference on Exotic Atoms, EXA'2002, Vienna, November 28–30, 2002, preprint arXiv:nucl-ex/0304019 Google Scholar
- B. Lauss et al., Proceedings of the International Conference on Exotic Atoms, EXA'2005, Vienna, February 21–25, 2005, preprint arXiv:nucl-ex/0601004 Google Scholar
- L. Bracci et al., Muon Catalyzed Fusion 4, 247 (1989) Google Scholar
- C. Chiccoli et al., Muon Catalyzed Fusion 7, 87 (1992) Google Scholar