Atom interferometry gravity-gradiometer for the determination of the Newtonian gravitational constant G
- 413 Downloads
We developed a gravity-gradiometer based on atom interferometry for the determination of the Newtonian gravitational constant G. The apparatus, combining a Rb fountain, Raman interferometry and a juggling scheme for fast launch of two atomic clouds, was specifically designed to reduce possible systematic effects. We present instrument performances and preliminary results for the measurement of G with a relative uncertainty of 1%. A discussion of projected accuracy for G measurement using this new scheme shows that the results of the experiment will be significant to discriminate between previous inconsistent values.
PACS.03.75.Dg Atom and neutron interferometry 04.80.-y Experimental studies of gravity 06.20.Jr Determination of fundamental constants
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atom interferometry, edited by P.R. Berman (Academic press, 1997) Google Scholar
- A. Miffre, M. Jacquey, M. Büchner, G. Trénec, J. Vigué, Phys. Scripta 74, C15 (2006) Google Scholar
- F. Yver-Leduc, P. Cheinet, J. Fils, A. Clairon, N. Dimarcq, D. Holleville, P. Bouyer, A. Landragin, J. Opt. B: Quant. Semiclass. Opt. 5, S136 (2003) Google Scholar
- HYPER, Hyper Precision Cold Atom Interferometry in Space, Assessment study report, ESA-SCI (2000) 10 Google Scholar
- C. Bordé, G.M. Tino, F. Vetrano, 2004 Aspen Winter College on Gravitational Waves (Available online at: http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/LIGO_web/Aspen2004/ pdf/vetrano.pdf, to be published) Google Scholar
- T. Petelski, Atom interferometers for precision gravity measurements, Ph.D. thesis, Università di Firenze (2005); available online at www.fi.infn.it/sezione/ esperimenti/MAGIA/home.html Google Scholar
- P. Cheinet, B. Canuel, F.P.D. Santos, A. Gauguet, F. Leduc, A. Landragin, arXiv:physics/0510197 Google Scholar