Cross phase modulation in a five–level atomic medium: semiclassical theory
- 200 Downloads
The interaction of a five-level atomic system involving electromagnetically induced transparency with four light fields is investigated. Two different light-atom configurations are considered, and their efficiency in generating large nonlinear cross-phase shifts compared. The dispersive properties of those schemes are analyzed in detail, and the conditions leading to group velocity matching for two of the light fields are identified. An analytical treatment based on amplitude equations is used in order to obtain approximate solutions for the susceptibilities, which are shown to fit well with the numerical solution of the full Bloch equations in a large parameter region.
PACS.42.50.Gy Effects of atomic coherence on propagation, absorption, and amplification of light; electromagnetically induced transparency and absorption 42.65.-k Nonlinear optics 03.67.Hk Quantum communication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R.W. Boyd, Nonlinear Optics (Academic, San Diego, Calif., 1992) Google Scholar
- M.A. Nielsen, I.L. Chuang, Quantum Computation and Quantum Information (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 2000) Google Scholar
- E. Arimondo, in Progress in Optics XXXV, edited by E. Wolf (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1996) Google Scholar
- S.E. Harris, Phys. Today 50, 36 (1997); M.O. Scully, M.S. Zubairy, Quantum Optics (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1997) Google Scholar
- H. Kang, Y. Zhu, Phys. Rev. lett. 91, 093601 (2003); H. Kang, G. Hernandez, Y. Zhu, Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 073601 (2004); H. Kang, G. Hernandez, Y. Zhu, Phys. Rev. A 70, 061804 (2004); H. Kang, G. Hernandez, Y. Zhu, Phys. Rev. A 70, 011801 (2004); H. Wang, D. Goorskey, M. Xiao, Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 073601 (2001) CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- M.S. Zubairy, A.B. Matsko, M.O. Scully, Phys. Rev. A 65, 043804 (2002); A.B. Matsko, I. Novikova, G.R. Welch, M.S. Zubairy, Opt. Lett. 28, 96 (2003); A.D. Greentree, D. Richards, J.A. Vaccaro, A.V. Durrant, S.R. de Echaniz, D.M. Segal, J.P. Marangos, Phys. Rev. A 67, 023818 (2003) CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar