Electron attachment to strongly polar clusters
- 109 Downloads
Electron localization is studied in formamide cluster anions. The isolated formamide molecule has a large dipole moment and its clusters can give birth to multipole-bound anions as well as valence anions. The vertical valence electron affinity of the isolated molecule is determined by electron transmission spectroscopy. The anion formation process is studied as a function of cluster size with Rydberg electron transfer spectroscopy. DFT calculations of the neutral and negatively-charged cluster structures show that the anion excess electron localizes on a single molecule. The adiabatic valence electron affinity of isolated formamide is deduced from the observation of the cluster size threshold for valence attachment.
KeywordsFormamide Cluster Size Anion Formation Electron Localization Excess Electron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Kalcher, Theoretical prospects of negative ions (Research SignPost, Trivandrum, India, 2002) Google Scholar
- H. Haberland, C. Schindler, H.G. Worsnop, Ber. Bunsenges. Phys. Chem. 88, 270 (1984) Google Scholar
- T. Maeyama, N. Mikami, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 6, 1137 (2003) Google Scholar
- F.B. Dunning, J. Phys. B 28, 1645 (1995) Google Scholar
- M.J. Frisch, G.W. Trucks, H.B. Schlegel, H.B. Scuseria, G.E. Robb, M.A. Cheeseman, J.R. Zakrzewski, V.G. Montgomery, J.A. Stratmann, R.E. Burant, J.C. Dapprich, S. Millam, J.M. Daniels, A.D. Kudin, K.N. Strain, M.O. Farkas, O. Tomasi, J. Barone, V. Cossi, M. Cammi, R. Mennucci, B. Pomelli, C. Adamo, C. Clifford, S. Ochterski, J. Petersson, G.A. Ayala, Q.P.Y. Cui, K. Morokuma, K. Malick, D.K. Rabuck, A.D. Raghavachari, K. Foresman, J.B. Cioslowski, J. Ortiz, J.V. Stefanov, B.B. Liu, G. Liashenko, A. Piskorz, P. Komaromi, I. Gomperts, R. Martin, R.L. Fox, D.J. Keith, T. Al-Laham, M.A. Peng, C.Y. Nanayakkara, A. Gonzalez, C. Challacombe, M. Gill, P.M.W. Johnson, B. Chen, W. Wong, M.W. Andres, J.L. Head-Gordon, E.S. Replogle, J.A. Popple, Revision A6 ed. (Pittsburg, PA, 1998) Google Scholar
- A. Modelli, Trends Chem. Phys. 6, 57 (1997) Google Scholar
- J.W. Shin, N.I. Hammer, M.A. Johnson, H. Schneider, A. Glob, J.M. Weber, J. Phys. Chem. A (2005) Google Scholar
- J.B. Foresman, A. Frisch, Exploring Chemistry with Electronic Structure methods (Gauusian, Inc, Pittsburg, US, 1996) Google Scholar