Orbital magnetism in axially deformed sodium clusters
- 40 Downloads
Low-energy orbital magnetic dipole excitations, known as the scissors mode (SM), are studied in alkali metal clusters. Subsequent dynamic and static effects are explored. The treatment is based on a self-consistent microscopic approach using the jellium approximation for the ionic background and the Kohn-Sham mean field for the electrons. The microscopic origin of SM and its main features (structure of the mode in light and medium clusters, separation into low- and high-energy plasmons, coupling high-energy M1 scissors and E2 quadrupole plasmons, contributions of shape isomers, etc.) are discussed. It is shown that the scissors M1 strength acquires large values with increasing cluster size. The mode is responsible for the van Vleck paramagnetism of spin-saturated clusters. Quantum shell effects induce a fragile interplay between Langevin diamagnetism and van Vleck paramagnetism and lead to a remarkable dia-para anisotropy in magnetic susceptibility of particular light clusters. Finally, several routes for observing the SM experimentally are discussed.
KeywordsMagnetic Susceptibility Microscopic Approach Ionic Background Shell Effect Microscopic Origin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S. Frauendorf, V.V. Pashkevich, S.M. Reimann, Surf. Rev. Lett. 3, 441 (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Ll. Serra, A. Puente, E. Lipparini, Phys. Rev. B 60, R13966 (1999)Google Scholar
- 14.V.O. Nesterenko, W. Kleinig, F.F. de Souza Cruz, J.R. Marinelli, in Proceedings of Intern. Symposium on Cluster and Nanostructure Interfaces, Richmond, USA, 1999, edited by P. Jena, S.N. Khanna, B.K. Rao (World Scientific, Singapure, 2000), p. 209Google Scholar
- 15.V.O. Nesterenko, W. Kleinig, F.F. de Souza Cruz, N. Lo Iudice, in Proceedings of Intern. Workshop “Collective excitations in Fermi and Bose Systems”, Serra Negra, San Paulo, Brazil, 1998, edited by C.A. Bertulani, L.F. Canto, M.S. Hussein (World Scientific, Singapore, 1999), p. 225Google Scholar
- 16.V.O. Nesterenko, W. Kleinig, in Proceedings of Intern. Symposium “Similarities and Differences between Atomic Nuclei and Clusters”, Tsukuba, Japan, 1997, edited by Y. Abe, I. Arai, S.M. Lee, K. Yabana, AIP Confer. Proceed. 416, 77 (1998)Google Scholar
- 17.P.-G. Reinhard, O. Genzken, M. Brack, Ann. Phys. (Lpg) 5, 576 (1996)Google Scholar
- 23.S.M. Reinmann, S. Frauendorf, M. Brack, Z. Phys. D 34, 125 (1995)Google Scholar
- 26.S. Frauendorf, V.V. Pashkevich, Ann. Phys. (Lpg) 5, 34 (1996)Google Scholar