Determination of the electric field gradient and the magnetic field in Mössbauer spectroscopy
- 155 Downloads
Problem of unambiguous determination of all components of the electric field gradient and hyperfine magnetic field in case of mixed hyperfine interaction was solved for the first time. Concept of a new method to determine orientation of hyperfine fields in the absorber Cartesian frame for Mössbauer spectroscopy for nuclear transitions between levels with spin 3/2 and 1/2 is presented. The method can be applied for single-crystal absorbers with well separated absorption lines in their spectra. Explicit formulas derived from velocity moments are presented. The new method allows full separation of the electric quadrupolar and magnetic dipolar hyperfine interactions by using unpolarized radiation.
KeywordsSolid State and Materials
- 1.S.W. Karyagin, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (Leningrad) 8, 493 (1966) Google Scholar
- 2.S.W. Karyagin, Sov. Phys. Solid State 8, 391 (1966) Google Scholar
- 4.K. Szymański, J. Phys. 12, 7495 (2000) Google Scholar
- 8.R. Zimmermann, in Advances in Mössbauer Spectroscopy Applications to Physics, Chemistry and Biology, edited by B.V. Thosar, P.K. Iyengar (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1983), p. 273 Google Scholar
- 11.R.A. Horn, C.R. Johnson, Topics in Matrix Analysis (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1991), pp. 403, 437–438 Google Scholar
Open Access This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (https://doi.org/creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.