Bloggers behavior and emergent communities in Blog space
- 612 Downloads
Interactions between users in cyberspace may lead to phenomena different from those observed in common social networks. Here we analyse large data sets about users and Blogs which they write and comment, mapped onto a bipartite graph. In such enlarged Blog space we trace user activity over time, which results in robust temporal patterns of user-Blog behavior and the emergence of communities. With the spectral methods applied to the projection on weighted user network we detect clusters of users related to their common interests and habits. Our results suggest that different mechanisms may play the role in the case of very popular Blogs. Our analysis makes a suitable basis for theoretical modeling of the evolution of cyber communities and for practical study of the data, in particular for an efficient search of interesting Blog clusters and further retrieval of their contents by text analysis.
KeywordsBipartite Graph Bipartite Network Partite Network Emergent Community Popular Post
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J. Grujić, M. Mitrović, B. Tadić, IEEEXplore (2009), Doi: 10.1109/ICDSP.2009.5201238Google Scholar
- 8.F. Fu, L. Liu, K. Yang, L. Wang (2006), arXiv:0607361Google Scholar
- 9.J. Leskovec, M. McGlohon, C. Faloutsos, N. Glance, M. Hurst (2007), arXiv:0704.2803Google Scholar
- 10.L. Liu, F. Fu, L. Wang (2007), arXiv:0701316Google Scholar
- 11.Y. Sano, M. Takayasu, Macroscopic and microscopic statistical properties observed in blog entries (2009), arXiv:0906.1744Google Scholar
- 12.M. Thelwall, A. Byrne, M. Goody, Informationresearch 12, 327 (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.M. Thelwall, D. Wilkinson, S. Uppal, Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (2009), Doi: 10.1002/asi.21180Google Scholar
- 14.B. Fortuna, M. Grobelnik, D. Mladenic, Ontogen (2008), http://ontogen.ijs.si/
- 18.R. Crane, F. Schweitzer, D. Sornette (2009), arXiv:0903.1406Google Scholar
- 26.L. Donetti, M.A. Muñoz, Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment 10, 191 (2004)Google Scholar
- 29.A. Lancichinetti, S. Fortunato, Community detection algorithms: a comparative analysis (2009), arXiv:0908.1062Google Scholar