Scaling of the size and temporal occurrence of burst sequences in creep rupture of fiber bundles
- 41 Downloads
We present a detailed statistical analysis of the size and temporal occurrence of burst sequences in the creep rupture of a proposed linear viscoelastic fiber bundle model. According to the model, the burst sequences of fiber breaks display a power law asymptotic behavior analogous to that of the static-fracture [Kloster et al., Phys. Rev. E 56, 2615, (1997)]. Moreover, power law asymptotics apply to inter-arrival times between successive bursts with a universal exponent close to unity.
PACS.46.35.+z Viscoelasticity, plasticity, viscoplasticity 46.50.+a Fracture mechanics, fatigue and cracks 62.20.Mk Fatigue, brittleness, fracture, and cracks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. Omori, Rep. Earth. Inv. Comm. 2, 103 (1894) (in Japanese) Google Scholar
- M. Gutenberg, C.F. Richter, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Amer 34, 185 (1944) Google Scholar
- Statistical Models for the Fracture of Disordered Media, edited by H.J. Herrmann and S. Roux (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1990); Modelling Critical and Catastrophic Phenomena in Geoscience, edited by P. Bhattacharyya, B.K. Chakrabarti (Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 2006) Google Scholar
- M. Jirásek, Z.P. Bažant, Inelastic Analysis of Structures (John Wiley and Sons Ltd, Sussex, 2002) Google Scholar
- A.J. Staverman, P. Schwarzl, Proc. Acad. Sc., The Netherlands 55, 486 (1952); M.A. Biot, J. Appl. Phys. 25, 1385 (1954); Z.P. Bažant, C. Huet, Int. J. Solids Struct. 36, 3993 (1999) Google Scholar