Vanishing integral relations and expectation values for Bloch functions in finite domains
- 71 Downloads
Integral identities for particular Bloch functions in finite periodic systems are derived. All following statements are proven for a finite domain consisting of an integer number of unit cells. It is shown that matrix elements of particular Bloch functions with respect to periodic differential operators vanish identically. The real valuedness, the time-independence and a summation property of the expectation values of periodic differential operators applied to superpositions of specific Bloch functions are derived.
PACS.3.65.Fd Algebraic methods 03.65.Nk Scattering theory 3.65.Ge Solutions of wave equations: bound states 73.21.Cd Superlattices
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Kittel, Quantum Theory of Solids (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1987) Google Scholar
- Strictly speaking, at the band edge energies (i.e. when q∈0,π/d) the general solution  is either ΨB n,(q)(x)=exp (iqx)[α1 u(1) n,q(x)+α2 (xu(1) n,q(x)+u(2) n,q(x))] or ΨB n,(q)(x)=exp (iqx)[α1 u(1) n,q(x)+α2 u(2) n,q(x)], depending on the symmetry of the unit cell. Here u(1) n,q(x) and u(2) n,q(x) are two different periodic functions belonging either both to q=0 or both to q=π/d Google Scholar
- The so-called surface states that arise in systems with CQC lie in general energetically outside the band and are characterized by an imaginary Bloch wave number. The history of the study of surface states together with new insights have been reported recently in  Google Scholar
- M. Reed, B. Simon, Analysis of Operators (Methods of Modern Mathematical Physics), Vol. IV (Academic Press, San Diego, 1978) Google Scholar
- L.D. Landau, E.M. Lifshitz, Course of Theoretical Physics: Quantum Mechanics (Non-Relativistic Theory), Vol. III 3rd edn. (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1977) Google Scholar
- G.L. Bir, G.E. Pikus, Symmetry and strain-induced effects in semiconductors (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1974) Google Scholar
- L. Jansen, M. Boon, Theory of Finite Groups (North Holland, Amsterdam, 1967) Google Scholar
- M.S.P. Eastham, The Spectral Theory of Periodic Differential Equations (Scottish Academic Press Ltd., Edinburgh, 1973) Google Scholar