Ferromagnetic resonance in systems with competing uniaxial and cubic anisotropies
- 113 Downloads
We develop a model for ferromagnetic resonance in systems with competing uniaxial and cubic anisotropies. This model applies to (i) magnetic materials with both uniaxial and cubic anisotropies, and (ii) magnetic nanoparticles with effective core and surface anisotropies; We numerically compute the resonance frequency as a function of the field and the resonance field as a function of the direction of the applied field for an arbitrary ratio of cubic-to-uniaxial anisotropy. We also provide some approximate analytical expressions in the case of weak cubic anisotropy. We propose a method that uses these expressions for estimating the uniaxial and cubic anisotropy constants, and for determining the relative orientation of the cubic anisotropy axes with respect to the crystal principle axes. This method is applicable to the analysis of experimental data of resonance type measurements for which we give a worked example of an iron thin film with mixed anisotropy.
PACS.76.50.+g Ferromagnetic, antiferromagnetic, and ferrimagnetic resonances 75.75.+a Magnetic properties of nanostructures 75.10.Hk Classical spin models
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Kachkachi, D.A. Garanin, in preparation; R. Yanes, O. Chubykalo-Fesenko, H. Kachkachi, D.A. Garanin, R. Evans, R.W. Chantrell, submitted to Phys. Rev. B Google Scholar
- A.G. Gurevich, G.A. Melkov, Magnetization oscillations and waves (CSC Press, Florida, 1996) Google Scholar
- J.F. Cochran, in Ultrathin magnetic structures II, edited by B. Heinrich, J. Bland (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1994), p. 222 Google Scholar
- B. Heinrich, in Ultrathin magnetic structures II, edited by B. Heinrich, J. Bland (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1994), p. 195 Google Scholar
- P.M. Déjardin, H. Kachkachi, Yu. P. Kalmykov, in preparation Google Scholar
- M. Azeggagh, H. Kachkachi, to appear in Phys. Rev. B; e-print arXiv: condmat/0611609 Google Scholar
- H. Kachkachi, D.S. Schmool, in preparation (2007) Google Scholar