Condition numbers and scale free graphs
- 40 Downloads
In this work we study the condition number of the least square matrix corresponding to scale free networks. We compute a theoretical lower bound of the condition number which proves that they are ill conditioned. Also, we analyze several matrices from networks generated with Linear Preferential Attachment, Edge Redirection and Attach to Edges models, showing that it is very difficult to compute the power law exponent by the least square method due to the severe lost of accuracy expected from the corresponding condition numbers.
PACS.02.60.Dc Numerical linear algebra 05.10Ln Monte Carlo methods 89.75.-k Complex systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G.H. Golub, C.F. Van Loan, Matrix Computations, Johns Hopkins Series in Mathematical Sciences, 3rd edn. (The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore and London, 1996) Google Scholar
- D.A. Belsley, Conditioning Diagnostics, Collinearity and Weak Data in Regression (John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1991) Google Scholar
- S. Chatterjee, A.S. Hadi, B. Price, Regression Analysis by Example, 3rd edn., Wiley Series in Probability and Statistics (John Wiley & Sons, 1991) Google Scholar
- D. Achlioptas, A. Clauset, D. Kempe, C. Moore On the Bias of Traceroute Sampling; or, Power-law Degree Distributions in Regular Graphs Proc. STOC (2005) Google Scholar
- D.A. Belsley, Multicollinearity: Diagnosing its Presence and Assessing the Potential Damage It Causes Least Squares Estimation, National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper No. 154 (1976) Google Scholar
- A-L. Barabási, R. Albert, Science, 286, 509 (1999) Google Scholar
- Q. Chen, H. Chang, R. Govindan, S. Jamin, S.J. Shenker, W. Willinger, The Origin of Power Laws in Internet Topologies Revisited, Proc. of IEEE Infocom (2002) Google Scholar
- A. Lakhina, J. Byers, M. Crovella, P. Xie Sampling Biases in IP Topology Measurements, Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM '03 (2003) Google Scholar