Phase diagrams of Ising fluids with Yukawa-Lennard-Jones interactions from an integral equation approach
- 78 Downloads
An integral equation approach is developed to investigate phase coexistence properties of Ising spin fluids with Yukawa ferromagnetic and Lennard-Jones nonmagnetic interactions in the presence of an external field. The calculations are carried out on the basis of the Duh and Henderson closure with a specific Duh-like partitioning of the total potential. The coupled set of the Ornstein-Zernike equation, the closure relation and the external field constraint are solved using an efficient numerical algorithm. The phase diagrams are evaluated in a wide range of varying the external field and the ratio of strengths of Yukawa to Lennard-Jones interactions. Different types of the phase diagram topology as well as various external field dependencies of critical temperatures and densities are identified. The complexity with respect to simple Lennard-Jones fluids is explained by coupling between spatial and spin degrees of freedom in the system. A comparison of the obtained theoretical results with simulation data is made and a good agreement is observed.
PACS.64.60.-i General studies of phase transitions 64.70.Fx Liquid-vapor transitions 75.50.Mm Magnetic liquids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M.J.P. Nijmeijer, J.J. Weis, in Annual Review of Computational Physics IV, edited by D. Stauffer (World Scientific, Singapore, 1996) Google Scholar
- F. Schinagl, R. Folk, H. Iro, Condens. Matter Phys. 2, 313 (1999) Google Scholar
- T.G. Sokolovska, R.O. Sokolovskii, Phys. Rev. E 59, R3819 (1999) Google Scholar
- E. Lomba, F. Lado, J.J. Weis, Condens. Matter Phys. 4, 45 (2001) Google Scholar
- W. Fenz, R. Folk, Condens. Matter Phys. 6, 675 (2003) Google Scholar
- G. Kahl, E. Schöll-Paschinger, A. Lang, Monatshefte für Chemie 132, 1413 (2001) Google Scholar
- B. Kraft, H. Alexander, Phys. Konden. Mater. 16, 281 (1973) Google Scholar
- C. Caccamo, P.V. Giaquinta, G. Giunta, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 5, B75 (1993) Google Scholar
- J.P. Hansen, I.R. McDonald, Theory of Simple Liquids, 2nd edn. (Academic, London, 1986) Google Scholar
- C.G. Gray, K.E. Gubbins, Theory of Molecular Fluids, Vol. 1 (Clarendon, Oxford, 1984) Google Scholar
- A.Z. Panagiotopoulos, Molec. Sim. 9, 1 (1992) Google Scholar