A study of the induced magnetism in the Au spacer layer of Co/Au/CoO exchange-bias trilayers and related systems
- 103 Downloads
We report the first observation of the effects of exchange bias on the nuclear spin polarization and induced magnetic moments at a magnetic/non-magnetic interface, applying low temperature nuclear orientation (LTNO) to Co/Au(x)/CoO trilayer systems. This technique allows us to determine simultaneously the average alignment of the nuclear moments for the two radioactive probe isotopes 198Au and 60Co with respect to an external magnetic field axis. The total average Au γ-ray anisotropy measured was found (i) to decrease with increasing Au thickness, indicating that large hyperfine fields are restricted to the interfacial Au layers and (ii) to be canted away from the applied field axis even when the Co layers are magnetically saturated. This canting was found to originate at the CoO/Au interface as could be shown from comparative measurements on CoO/Au/CoO trilayers containing two AFM CoO/Au interfaces and on a Co/Au/Co trilayer with two FM Co/Au interfaces. In the case of CoO/Au/CoO, the observed canting was found to be dependent on the Au layer thickness.
KeywordsHyperfine Field Exchange Bias Field Axis Magnetic Field Axis Nuclear Orientation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Nývlt, T. Katayama, Y. Suzuki, S. Yuasa, J. Franta, Š. Višňovsky, 16th ICMFS, Natal, edited by M.N. Baibich, A.B. Antunes (Instituto de Física UFRGS, 2000), p. 216 Google Scholar
- K. Inagawa, K. Kamigaki, S. Miura, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn 31, 1276 (1971) Google Scholar
- N.J. Stone, H. Postma, Low Temperature Nuclear Orientation (Elsevier Science, 1986) Google Scholar
- Y. Kobayashi, S. Nasu, T. Emoto, T. Shinjo, Hyp. Int. 94, 2273 (1994) Google Scholar
- K. Okada, H. Yasuoka, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn 43, 34 (1977) Google Scholar
- K. Motizuki, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn 15, 888 (1960) Google Scholar
- V. Jaccarino, Magnetism 2A, edited by G.T. Rado, H. Suhl, (Academic Press, New York, 1965) Google Scholar
- M. Le Gros, A. Kotlicki, B.G. Turrell, Hyp. Int. 77, 203 (1993) Google Scholar
- K.-H. Ebeling, R. Eder, E. Hagn, E. Zech, M. Deicher, Z. Naturforsch. a 41, 95 (1986) Google Scholar
- N. Marsot, R. Belkhou, F. Scheurer, B. Bartenlian, N. Barrett, M.A. Delaunay, C. Guillot, Surf. Sci. 377-379, 225 (1997) Google Scholar
- M. Gierlings, Ph.D. Dissertation, Freie Universität Berlin, (2002) Google Scholar