First results on kaonic hydrogen from the DEAR experiment
- 27 Downloads
The objective of DEAR (DAΦNE Exotic Atom Research) is the measurement of the K α line shift and width, due to the strong interaction, in kaonic hydrogen and a similar measurement - the first one - in kaonic deuterium. The aim is a precision determination of the antikaon-nucleon isospin dependent scattering lengths in order to obtain the kaon nucleon sigma terms. In a first phase, dedicated to the calibration and optimization of the setup, the experiment collected data on kaonic nitrogen: for the first time a complex of three transitions (7 → 6 at 4.6 keV, 6 → 5 at 7.6 keV and 5 → 4 at 14 keV) was measured, and the corresponding yields obtained. The kaonic hydrogen measurement was performed for a total integrated luminosity of about 60 pb-1 in the last months of the 2002 year. Data analyses are in progress, preliminary results being hereby presented, together with those on kaonic nitrogen.
PACS: 36.10.-K – 36.10.Gv
KeywordsHydrogen Nitrogen Data Analysis Deuterium Strong Interaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1. S. Bianco et al.: Rivista del Nuovo Cimento 22, No. 11 (1999) 1Google Scholar
- 2. S. Deser et al.: Phys. Rev. 96, 774 (1954); T.L. Truemann: Nucl. Phys. 26, 57 (1961); A. Deloff: Phys. Rev. C 13, 730 (1976)Google Scholar
- 3. C. Guaraldo: Proceedings of III International Workshop on Physics and Detectors for DAΦNE, November 16-19, Frascati, Italy, Frascati Physics Series Volume XVI (1999) 642Google Scholar
- 4. E. Reya: Rev. Mod Phys. 46, 545 (1974); H. Pagels: Phys. Rep. 16, 219 (1975)Google Scholar
- 5. R.L. Jaffe and C.L. Korpa: Comments Nucl. Part. Phys. 17, 163 (1987)Google Scholar
- 6. G. Beer et al: Phys. Lett B 535, 52 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7. T. Ishiwatari and P.D. Thesis: RIKEN (2003)Google Scholar